Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Burying and possible SA

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nellybelly, Aug 13, 2009.

1. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

My 4 month old terrier cross puppy (for anyone who remembers my posts about Maya, this is not her. This is a stray that was found on the side of the road full of parasites and very underweight...now healthy and happy, named Bella - had her almost 3 weeks), whenever given a chew/bone or anything of the like immediately goes in search of a place to bury this (under couches, tables, etc). Of course there are the times when she actually chews instead, but burying is very common. I was just wondering, does anybody else have a similar situation?

Otherwise Bella is doing well. I think she is bordering sepraration anxiety but I can leave her for up to an hour and come home to a very excited dog but no destructive behaviour or messing while im gone. She whimpers when I leave and I can hear her as I drive off, but when I return home it is quiet so I figure she stops at some point. its really hard to not make a fuss when i get home but i dont, i waiot till she calms down and I also amke sure not to make leaving the house a big deal. She often comes with me wherever I go which I understand makes her more likely to be upset when she doesnt, but i make a point of every day not leting her follow me all around the house. I use a baby gate to close her in the kitchen area, she wimpers for a while but eventually settes and then I go back to her. Whem I leave her home alone I also restrict her to the kitchen/living room area which is puppy proofed. It could be my idea that she is suffering from mild separation anxiety, but I would like opinions and any tips on how to successfully bring her to the point where she is happy to be left alone for up to 3 hours (no more).

Just to add she gets 2 half hour walks (mostly off lead but need the lead to get away from the road areas) and two 30 minute playing sessions. When I am home she has the run of the house. We have had no accidents in the house for over a week now so I believe toilet training is going well, although she doesnt knwo how to ask to be let out yet, I take her out regularly but also watch her in between in case she shows any signs of needing to go. Mentioning this, I have one more issue that slightly concerns me. When we are playing and Bella gets excited she can wee up to 4 times in less than hour. We play in the garden so this is no problem for toilet training, but is this normal or might she need an extra visit to the vet? (I say extra because we have been multiple times for worming, vaccinations, and a small henria on her tummy which we are monitoring, but I never thought to mention these periods of excessive weeing but since it persists I am starting to wonder). When not active or exited she can hold easily for up to 4 hours, and last night I did a trial and didnt let her out from 12pm-7am and she managed fine!

Thank you in advance and I'll send pictures soon

2. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

my beagle did that. he would take the chew and walk all around the house hiding it in various places, then going back 2mins later to get it and put it somewhere else. but then if i pretended to eat it (haha i know im weird) he would eat it immediately haha. we could never give him chews outside coz he just dug a hole and hid it and it would go all horrible.
    he didnt do it everytime though, just on the occasion.

3. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

and some pictures from 10 days ago, havent uploaded the more recent ones yet.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

and below is one of my best friend and little angel, Nelly, who was pts 3 months ago. I think about him every single day...wishing we had the opportunity to have more days together - a whole lifetime together would not have been enough!

[​IMG]

My new girl Bella does help the pain a bit...and I do really love her, but having had perfectly behaved adult boy for so many years, one forgets that puppies need to learn everything, but she is doing great and I am really enjoying her, and I have a year off my studies (was originally arranged to spend all my time with Nelly as we knew he was sick and not gonna get better despite daily visits to the vet and having been to 4 different vets to make 10000% sure thre was nothing more we could do) which is perfect as I have all the time in the world to dedicate to her.

4. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Thanks for the reply. Does your beagle still do this? My Nelly loves digging and burying, but he only ever dug one hole in our garden. When he became a grown man he only went wild digging at the beach. At home he was happy to occasionally bury things in his basket, making sure to cover them well with nonexistent dirt. I find it so funnya ll dogs do that, and prod it down tih their nose to make sure it is well covered!! Haha, I pretent I cant see it - play along with them! A bit of imgination neve hurt anyone!

5. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

[​IMG]
    I had to post one more of my handsome boy Nelly. You can probably tell that he was ABSOLUTELY adored and worth every bit of it. The most special thing in my life. Still impossible to come to terms with his loss.

6. Savahl

Savahl Guest

Cant help on SA, but buster will bury his chews often. Sometimes he will chew them, but i have to pull our sofa apart weekly to retrieve bones/chews/remotes that he has skillfully buried down the side. I have a big pile of sheets in the corner now for him to bury things in to try and save the sofa lol

He will also try to bury it under nothing! just put it on the rug and start nudging....air...over it with his nose and poking it with his nose...as someone said above...non existant dirt... it bizarre to watch

He only seems to bury toys in our garden, and badly! we often find half buried toys out there. Normally soft ones....so they get very very muddy :(

#6 Savahl, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
  7. Savahl

Savahl Guest

lol ditto! I also pretend to eat things to get buster to haha.

Works well with his dinner too if he isnt eating! Although it has to be accompanied with "Buster...can i have it? i want it!"

PS Nelly was beautiful xxx

#7 Savahl, Aug 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2009
  8. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice