Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

burst abcess on a cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Merlin's Cat Crew, Oct 18, 2020 at 12:07 AM.

1. Merlin's Cat Crew

Merlin's Cat Crew PetForums Newbie

Hi all. I'm a brand new member on here & not sure if this is the right place to post this so apologies if not but here goes.
    First to intro myself & my 4 cats. Two pedigrees that from birth are house cats & have never been allowed outside & two rescues, one of which, now a beautiful long fur torty, appeared as a flea ridden bag of bones feral kitten & who also since catching has not been outside again (drivers on my road use it as a rat run to avoid schools and traffic lights and too many cats see their last light out there)
    That leaves the last one, a big old tom that appeared one summer living under some shrubs behind my house & secretly stealing the cat food I'd been putting down for the local hedgehog. It turned out that, although chipped, his owners had moved away and left him behind without updating their record. By the look of him back then he had been living outside for quite a while & being used to it he is the only one that demands & gets free range.
    He's a typical tom &, although neutered, he's still very territorial and often gets himself into cat-fights with the usual scratches. But sometimes he'll get an abcess which I usually don't find until it's burst & I then bathe with salt water (when he lets me).
    My query - I have some Fuciderm Gel 0.5% & I wonder if it would be okay to use this on the burst abcess as I think (but I'm not sure) that is what the vet gave me for the same problem once before.
    Many thanks all & make the best times of this strange life we now live in. xx

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Merlin's Cat Crew and welcome :)

I definitely wouldn't use Fuciderm Gel on his wound, because it is not suitable for an open wound such as a burst abscess. It contains steroids which will delay healing of the wound.

It is best to continue bathing the wound with boiled cooled water with salt added, pat the area dry with clean paper towel and if you want to use an antiseptic use Leucillin which will stop the wound becoming more badly infected. It won't kill the bacteria deep inside the wound, but nothing will do that except a course of the right antibiotic.

Leucillin is the best antiseptic I know of for cats as it does not contain alcohol and has only a very slight odour to it.

https://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/leucillin-antiseptic-multi-pet-skin-care-50ml-dropper

You need to keep the wound open until all the pus has come out. The wound needs to heal from the bottom up. If it scabs over too soon bacteria will be trapped inside causing a lot of harm to the cat.

As well as the above treatment it is advisable to ask the vet for an antibiotic such as Synulox for the cat to treat the infection systemically so you know it has gone.

#2 chillminx, Oct 18, 2020 at 12:35 AM
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020 at 12:55 AM
    TriTri likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice