Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Burns

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by henry, Jun 29, 2010.

1. henry

henry PetForums VIP

As there's been so much about what foods we feed lately, can I ask for experiences of Burns please? :) Thanks!

2. Supurb food, but in my experience my dogs do seem to be hungry when fed burns, Also some dogs struggle to keep weight on (not that that is a problem).

I was a fan of Arden Grange for years. But have recently changed to another brand and both my dogs are doing well!

That said I do feed primarilary wet - Nature Diet or Forthglade!

Wanna see my store cupboard anyone:D

3. hawksport

hawksport Banned

I have never been able to keep weight on a dog with burns

4. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

I have Mavis on Burns....but she does not like it..the chicken and rice is only 7.5% fat one of the lowest on the market that i could find anyway......and to be honest she is thinner now than she was when i first put her on it...and i am struggling to get any weight on her what so ever....which i suppose you will with such a low fat content

Juliex

5. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

both of my dogs are fed Burns,they eat it well and are both a good weight,also both are Agility dogs ,i have tried a few other foods in the past but this one suits them the best.

6. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

I could never keep weight on my dogs with Burns especially when they were working.

I also didn't like the idea of feeding a diet that had such a large amount of rice in the recipe.

Just my opinion :)

7. basi

basi PetForums Senior

None of mine did well on it just could not keep any weight or condition with it.

8. Kinski

Kinski PetForums VIP

My bridge baby Ailsa was fed on Burns, she did very well on it. Ailsa had colitis for most of her life both Burns and Robbies were the only foods that she could tolerate, I also have a few friends who changed to Burns with great results, one dog also had colitis, one a westie had a very bad skin and a wee cavie who also had a bad skin, Burns helped every one of them.

Terri

9. henry

henry PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone - keep them coming!

DoubleTrouble - yes, can we see your storecupboard??;)

10. henry

henry PetForums VIP

DoubleTrouble - can I ask what you mean about the inconsistency in Arden Grange? Was looking at this food last night.

11. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I've never rated burns, 60% rice seems very excessive to me, £40+ is a lot for a big bag of meat flavoured rice.

I've used AG a lot in the past and several family members use it too, never seen/heard of any inconsistency.

12. henry

henry PetForums VIP

I see what you mean, Lyceum, but something like AG Lamb still has 26% rice, 26% maize as well as beet pulp, etc, so to me it doesn't look much difference to the 50-60% rice in the Burns, just that the cereals are split. Still think AG looks good though!

Doubletrouble - what have you got in your store cupboard - you've got me intrigued now!!

13. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

My preference for a good budget food - and I think it beats some of the more expensive ones is Vitalin adult maintenance chicken - cereal free and a decent meat content. Unfortunately Heidi wasnt that keen.

I made the mistake of choosing what I thought was the best puppy food and continually battled to get her to eat it. When it was time for adult, I dwindled down what I felt the best 3 in my price range, got samples and left the final decision to Heidi. She wouldnt touch the skinners duck and rice, liked the vitalin, but it was obvious the salmon and rice was her favourite.

14. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

15. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

If you want to try Arden grange just e mail the company and ask for some samples, they are really helpful :)

Regretfully Oscar won't touch AG :( and i tried every flavour because i wanted him on it :rolleyes:

Have just put him on burns so will see how he goes in the next couple of weeks :)

I have been looking at the Barking heads though but i think its quite new :confused1:

Go on DT show us your store cuboard then it will feel like you are really back (lol) xx

16. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Ive found burns to be excellent we started ours on it when one of my dogs was very ill and heve got medical evidence to say that there must be something in it or not whichever way you look at it, i agree with the weight but thats not an issue i frefer mine to be on the lean side if they are jealthey, obviously and they are. Our last pup was the only one to be fed on burns as a pup and of he same breed as the others and the difference was amazing so much calmer and more attentive much easier to train because of this, tbh i wouldnt feed anything else, thats not to say there arnt foods out there just as good but i wouldnt change.

17. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

my bailey beagle did fantastic on burns. we started him off on jwb, but he was always loose. after switching to burns pork and potato, he was fantastic. never had a loose poop! was good for keeping his weight down aslo, as beagles can be prone to weight gain.
    doesnt suit all dogs though, especially particularly active dogs it would seem.

i currently use AG with both my dogs, and thoroughly recommend it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice