Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Burning grass!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by maizie0_0, May 19, 2010.

1. maizie0_0

maizie0_0 PetForums Member

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I'm using this, first got it about a month ago. It does seem to be making a difference. Though my lawn is still a mess from before, it looks like there aren't new burnt patches.

3. maizie0_0

How do you use it? Can you use it on puppies?

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It's like it says - rocks! You put them in the water bowl and leave them there, and it says they remove nitrates and tin that occur naturally in water.
    It doesn't say anything about puppies, but shouldn't do them any harm as it's making them drink water with fewer chemical elements to it. You are supposed to replace them every 2 months. Giving filtered water should also remove nitrates and tin. Cost-wise buying water filter cartridges should be about the same but has the advantage that you can drink nicer tasting water too.

5. maizie0_0

So you put them in the bowl of water, when I change the water just leave the rocks in there? Don't the dogs eat them?

6. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

i use them as well. havent noticed a huge difference, but thats coz my lawn is a state anyway. should notice once the new grass hopefully grows in eventually!!

one of my dogs picked one of the rocks out once lol. but generally they dont even bother with them. they kinda wondered what they were when we first put them in, but now its just normal for them to be there.

7. Wigglewoo

Wigglewoo PetForums Junior

Slightly off topic but all the same it may help - my neighbours swear by diluting the dog pee after they have gone - they let her out and when she has peed they just use a watering can and literally water the pee down to dilute it!!

xXx

8. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

A friend of mine adds a teaspoon of tomatoe ketchup to her dogs food,apparantly it neutrelises the acids that burns the grass.Iv not tried this myself as my girls dont to it (generally a boy dog thing!) but worth a go,as its alot cheaper!!

9. maizie0_0

I thought it was mainly females that burnt the grass?

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I've done this too and it works, but is tricky at night when you're trying to follow two dogs at the same time!

11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Yes, maybe because they pee out a lot in one spot. Males often pee little and often, so it's more scattered around. Males can burn the grass if they pee in the same place consistently.

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Don't know about acids, but in biology at school I was told that auxins which work as plant growth hormones were present in pee. In high concentrations they burn the grass, in lower amounts they act as fertiliser - that's why you get a ring of faster growing grass around the burnt patch. This may be incorrect, but if it is, track down my teacher Mrs Archer and take it up with her!

13. dobermummy

dobermummy Banned

yeah it is true :thumbup:

i was told about the tomato sauce/ juice thing too

14. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Am sure you are right,probably not acids.
    All the male dogs iv ever known seem to do it,and not the girls,how strange!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice