Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Burmese Cats?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by golfchick, May 4, 2010.

1. golfchick

golfchick PetForums Senior

Im just wondering peoples opinions on this breed and possibly the best place to find a breeder?

The plan was always to get a british shorthair in blue when we moved in together as we're not sure what sort of time we're going to have to look after a dog at that point, with it being a first house we both need to get whatever job we can without trying to work opposite shifts so it wouldn't be fair on a pooch.

Now the other weekend we went and met up with a GSP breeder ready for the distant future and while there she used to be a breeder of burmese and she still had two which came and met us and followed us round like shadows and I dont think either me or my OH has met a cat like this, standing on his back legs reaching up us without using his nails basically asking to be carried and for a cuddle and once i picked him up he wouldn't budge for love nor money! So now of course we've fell in love! The bf would like a blue burmese and being as its his birthday at the beginning of June I thought about us going to meet up with a breeder for the day, give them a deposit for a kitten in the future, maybe end of summer time etc but i'd love to hear other peoples opinion on this enchanting breed? :thumbup::thumbup:

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Hello :)

I've bred BSH for many years and have a friend who has bred Burmese for just as long. Both are lovely breeds for looks but are, generally speaking (there will always be exceptions) quite different in personality and their needs. Although generally very friendly, BSH are more likely than a Burmese to be happy as an only cat and alone for longer periods of time. Burmese are incredibly intelligent, 'interactive' cats who probably wouldn't do as well as an only cat, particularly if you're working long hours.

Any cat, particularly a young one, will appreciate company but if you're 'stuck' on getting a Burmese, maybe better to get two :)

3. AlexArt

AlexArt PetForums Senior

I'd ditto gskinner you really need 2 cats - 1 cat on it's own isn't great - they are very social animals. My random moggies follow me all round the farm looking for attention, one of them sits in the tractor with me and watches everything!! - maybe try a rescue centre and get 2 kittens, who I'm sure will be very happy at having been saved!!!:D

4. golfchick

could anyone recommend a good book i could get for him? not nec specific to the breed

5. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

If you are going to be at work all day, get two (they don't have to be both Burmese) - or look at rescue, there is a Burmese breed rescue.

And yes they are wonderful cats. But be warned, they are not for the faint hearted. Many of them can open doors. My horror, Basil, has learned to open the front door, which is a REAL pain! Also if allowed out they are highly likely to jump into other people's cars and / or convince well meaning but gullible people that they are abandoned and starving, one of mine once managed to convince a young couple that she had been abandoned with a litter of kittens. Fortunately I was only a few yards away at the time! O yes, and be prepared for them to sit on your lap on the loo, or decide to leap on you if you are standing near some high place that looks interesting. Basil does both of these things. My first Burmese, Henrietta, once ran up my back when I had no clothes on. That was not a nice experience!

Liz

#5 lizward, May 4, 2010
    Last edited: May 4, 2010
  6. golfchick

hopefully we'll be living in a faily residential culdesac area so there wont be any hugely main roads and people general drive slow around them already cos of kids etc being around so hopefully lettingthem out shant be a problem. I've had a cat before and we never let her out because we were near some hefty main roads anddidnt wanna risk any accidents.

Is it like with dogs where you're best getting oppsite sexes and getting them both done?

7. golfchick

anybody know what sexes are best to get together? and a book?

8. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

i agree burmese do not like being on their own and if you are out all day the cat will get lonely, you are better off getting two. i personally prefer bsh. i dont think they are so demanding. burmese are very intelligent and love constant attention.

9. lizward

lizward PetForums VIP

I doubt if it matters at all if you get them as kittens.

Liz

10. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

We have two BSH crosses and one of them, george, does these things too - i have a lot of scratches from him jumping onto my back when i am washing up in the kitchen - a. because he likes to be near/on me, b. because he likes to be high up and c. because he loves the kitchen tap! He also does get jealous if i am cuddling his brother, gilly, and will jump up at my thighs when i am stood cuddling gil and cling on until i put gil down and cuddle him instead - ouch ouch ouch!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice