Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Burgess excel feeding hay

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by TabulaRasa, Jan 8, 2019.

1. TabulaRasa

TabulaRasa PetForums Member

I have run out of hay because the bag I ordered hasn't yet arrived when I thought it would have. The only bag they had in my local store was Burgess excel feeding hay. It says 100% Timothy hay on the front but also dried fresh grass for rabbits above that. My chins won't like it, I know they won't, but is it ok to give it until their usual oxbow arrives? I've only got a small handfull of their current bag left and I don't want them being without so surely the excel is better than nothing?

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Member

Yes, it should be fine. Is the the long stemmed variety?

3. TabulaRasa

No, it's really short in a very compressed bag, more like bits of grass than stalks of hay. I know they'll barely touch it because they only like long stalky hay but I'm concerned about them not having any for the next night. They have good systems and eat well, I don't want to mess them up.

4. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Member

Does your local pet shop sell Burgess long stemmed feeding hay. That may be a better option.

5. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

Yes, it'll be fine. Also the hay doesn't have to be timothy, meadow and orchard could be other options for you.

6. TabulaRasa

No they don't have the long stemmed stuff, they only had the one I bought, which oddly I can't find online. The one I ordered still hasn't showed up though so they'll have to just pick at what they want for tonight, at least they've got some hay.

7. TabulaRasa

Well the Burgess hay went down as I expected. They turned their pretty little noses up at it - total waste of £5:rolleyes:. At least the other one has finally arrived today though it's nowhere near the quality it normally is. Does hay go rubbish at this time of year or something? Oxbow and Alfalfa King are both usually green and crunchy but the last two bags of oxbow have been awful and this new one is soft as a cushion.

8. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

Its down to the growing season/weather conditions really. It's going to vary.
    I give a variety but mostly use timothyhay.co.uk

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice