Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Buns won't eat his hay!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by GizzyAndMe, Aug 21, 2018.

1. GizzyAndMe

GizzyAndMe PetForums Newbie

When I first got Gizzy, he would eat meadow hay fine and then suddenly he stopped and just wouldn't touch it again, I got timothy hay and he loved it for a while and now he won't eat it anymore from his rack. I have placed the bits I know he likes into his bowl and he'll pick through it but it isn't much. Shall I try him on oat hay? He's 3 months old. Thanks :)

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

What other food does he have available? If he's pigging on his other food that will mean he's less likely to eat hay. Ditch the bowl entirely and hide any pellets or other things he eats in the hay.

Has the vet checked his teeth? Unfortunately they're never too young for dental problems, once saw a 5-6 week old bun whose teeth were already wonky. Lops are more prone to dental issues.

GizzyAndMe and kimthecat like this.
  3. GizzyAndMe

He has his pellets in his bowl but now I will try what you said about hiding some pellets because he definitely seems to choose those over anything and will only nibble at hay when there are no pellets available. Last night I used a toilet roll tube stuffed with hay and that is now gone so I will keep doing that too :)

He is seeing the vets this month for his vaccines and a check over so I will mention about the hay eating and try him with other hay mixed with his timothy. Thank you for your advice! :)

kimthecat likes this.
  4. VickynHolly

VickynHolly PetForums VIP

Out of my 4 bunnies only one eats from a hay rack.
    I use litter boxes and wooden pet beds. Pellets go in with the hay. As does dried herbs/fruits/flowers. I must add my bunnies have 2/3 different areas for hay, I don’t add all of that into one lot of hay. And apart from pellets they don’t get all of that every day.
    I also buy different types/makes of hay.
    My 2 litter sisters love the hay from timonthyhay.co.uk. One of the others loves Burgess hay. And the other eats any hay, she ain’t fussy!.
    At the minute I have burgess hay, science selective hay, pets at home own make hay, timonthyhay.co.uk hay. And stuff from the range which is not a hit.
    My bunnies get fresh hay twice a day.
    My 2 litter sisters was fussy, until I gave them more variety and stopped putting it in hay racks.
    Oh and my bunnies get very little pellets.

5. GizzyAndMe

Oh I like these ideas, he's been munching on his new oat hay a lot more as well as some of the meadow hay available and I limited his pellets and now he spends a lot of time grazing on the hay :) so I'm not as worried now, thanks for responding :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice