Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bunny

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Abbie Holland, Feb 3, 2020.

1. Abbie Holland

Abbie Holland PetForums Junior

Hi, I’ve got a 9 week old bunny. We’ve had him for just over a week, he settled in really well eating drinking and pooping lots. Yesterday I noticed he wasn’t pooping much and I started to notice softer bigger oval shaped poops, and some of the ones they normally eat, I started to worry and then an hour or so later he was pooping again normally. He’s done the same again today barely any poops to soft bigger ones and then back to normal again! I was worrying about that GI Stasis but surely he wouldn’t keep going back to normal. I have noticed that he’s been eating less hay and is very interested in pellets. We did take the pellets out yesterday but he just wasn’t eating so u figured any food is surely better than no food! Im really confused as to whether there’s anything wrong with him. I’m panicking every time!

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

GI stasis would manifest with no poop as the digestive process stops dead. If your rabbit is passing some normal poop, then his gut is working. Your rabbit is still a baby, and no doubt working out his food preferences. Persevere will a good quality hay, preferably Timothy Hay, and I'm sure he will be fine.

Abbie Holland likes this.
  3. Abbie Holland

Thankyou for the reply! We do have Timothy hay, he’s just paying no interest in it atall, changing it often so it’s not stale. He does seem a bit grumpy compared to usual. I’m just worried as everything I’ve read says hay is so important and he’s just not eating any. About half an hour ago he had about 9 normal poops in a pile.

Tiggers likes this.
  4. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

What type of bun is he?

At this age make sure there are no changes in the diet, he should just have the pellets he’s been weaned onto and hay. No treats and no veggies unless he’s eaten them with mum.

There are medical conditions and dietary stress that can cause messy poop, right now it might just be the stress of a new home.

5. Abbie Holland

He’s a mini lop. We got him from a lovely lady who breeds them she recommended we started mixing new food with the one she sent him with from last Tuesday. So we did and up until yesterday we didn’t see any issues, also we haven’t allowed him to have any treats either. I’m doing everything by the book so no idea what’s going on ☹️

6. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

How flat is his face? Some lops can have such a flat nose they can reach properly to eat their cecal soft poops. They’re the Pugs of the bunny world!

Ease off the newer pellets a little. Don’t use a bowl, instead hide all his pellets in his hay. Encourage him to play with his food!

7. Abbie Holland

This is his beautiful little face I’m quite sure I have seen him eating them, it was only yesterday I noticed one he hadn’t eaten. Ok I’ll give that a go! I’m so worried he’s going to get poorly.

Attached Files:

8. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

Does he have lots of room to run around too? Movement is as important to their digestive system as type of food. It keeps their gut working properly, also keeps their bladder from sediment building up and developing bladder stones!

You can make toys to encourage him to play, a simple loo roll with one end squashed, pellets in the bottom and hay stuffed in the open end.

9. Abbie Holland

Yes I’m in the house quite a lot and every time I am he’s got the the whole upstairs of the house to roam, I put him in his cage again when he seems tired and he’ll let me know when he wants to get out again by biting on the bars. He’s normally very playful, loves a cuddle and obsessed with licking humans lol. I’ve already got a toilet roll with hay stuffed in it, and he’s got some wooden chew toys

bunnygeek and Tiggers like this.
  10. Abbie Holland

update*
    So last night he starting pooping quite a bit again all seemed fine, he was also eating some hay last night. This morning it seems there’s not quite as many poops as usual, and while he’s been out he’s hardly pooped. He currently eating pellets but not drinking an awful lot. The poops I have seen are smaller than usual. Is there still no need to worry?

11. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

Monitor this for today, continue to encourage lots of hay eating. If the poops continue to reduce in number and size, as well as him becoming more quiet, it's time for a vet visit.

12. Abbie Holland

Thankyou for your help, I took him to the vets this morning just to be safe. They said there doesn’t seem to be anything wrong with him, but gave me some meds to give him to help keep things moving just incase. Hopefully once he gets over the stress of being taken there he will be back to normal

bunnygeek and Tiggers like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice