Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bunny won't eat hay?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ashleyyyy, May 16, 2020.

1. Ashleyyyy

Ashleyyyy PetForums Newbie

Hey,

I wonder if anyone can help me please. My bunny won't eat hay? Like he would prefer to starve than eat hay, i've tried him with; timothy, oat, camomile and meadow?
    I've also got him an alfalfa wheel that's mixed with other hay and he'll occasionally graze that.
    The vets suggested i reduce his pellets but then i had to take him in because he wasn't eating? He also constantly has to have dental work done because the pellets don't rub his teeth down

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    Thank you

2. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

I would suspect that whatever teeth issues he is suffering are compromising his ability to eat hay. Have you had dental x-rays carried out? If not, you need to have his dental condition fully assessed and treated asap.

kimthecat likes this.
  3. Corneal

Corneal Cornealia

Is he a new pet? Some of my buns came from rescue and they didn’t eat hay coz they didn’t know what it was. They’d never seem it before

4. Ashleyyyy

Had his teeth all checked and it's no major issues just over growing from where he's not eating hay?

He's almost three and i've only recently got him so i'm assuming he didn't have it before? But how can i get him to eat it as it's such a crucial part of their diet

5. Ashleyyyy

Yeah he is, do you know any way to ween them onto it?

6. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Encourage them to play with their food. Whenever you feed pellets, hide them in the hay, in toys topped off with hay, make them work for it!

Ashleyyyy likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice