Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bunny with broken leg :(

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Kayleigh86, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Kayleigh86

Kayleigh86 PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I am looking for advice from anyone who has had a bunny with a broken leg before?
    I have taken my 3 month old bunny to the vets this morning and they confirmed what I feared, that he has a broken leg. The break is by the ankle so his foot is floppy and cannot bear weight on it. He is eating, drinking and hopping around fine and doesn’t seem to be in much pain. The vet suggested surgery which would cost over £500 which I just cannot afford at the moment. She also suggested that I could take him home with pain relief and see how he does in a week or so. She said that because he seems himself and is eating and drinking then she thinks he could manage with the pain relief. Where the break is she also said that it should be able to heal on its own but she cannot be 100%. She also suggested euthanasia, which I considered because obviously I don’t want him to be suffering and in pain but she seemed to think he wouldn’t be to much and that it was worth a try. However, if the break doesn’t heal he probably will need to be euthanised unless I can pay for surgery but it’s highly unlikely as my circumstances at the moment just won’t allow that. Now he is in a very small hutch so keeping him refined as the vet suggested, he has food and water and soft bedding. I just wondered if anyone else had experienced this before and if their rabbit healed and went on to be ok or not? I want to be hopeful but at the same time don’t want to get my hopes up. Any advice or stories of a similar situation would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Member

I’m afraid I have no experience with this, but maybe a good rescue, like RSPCA or Wadars in the south of England could fix his leg if you signed him over to them?

3. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Is it front or hind leg? It's a very tricky predicament. Most charities also don't have the finances or time to cope with buns with broken legs. Letting it heal on its own is risky and would need a lot of pain relief and attention from your vet - I've seen breaks heal badly including legs sticking out at weird angles resulting in arthritis in joints further up that leg and in other joints forced to compensate.

4. Kayleigh86

Kayleigh86 PetForums Newbie

Good news I have been offered a payment plan. We are starting with X-rays tomorrow morning to determine the extent of his injury and then we will go from there. My main priority is to ensure that bing goes through as little stress and suffering as possible.

The break is his back leg and they think it is down by his ankle as his foot is floppy and sticking out to the side slightly. He has been having metacam twice a day to help with pain relief. He was quite bright this morning. I let him down into a small run for 5 mins, just to ensure he keeps his gut healthy. He wasn’t running or jumping about just walking around and seemed quite happy to do so. I think the painkillers are helping. Obviously I’m not going to let him run around or handle him more than necessary I just don’t want him to get any issues with his gut as well. I saw that he had a wee and poo so was happy with that. He has had his nuggets, parsley and a carrot with the top today so that’s good and had been drinking.

I’m going through the PDSA so I am confident they have his best interests at heart. As I said we will see the extent of his break tomorrow morning after X-ray and go from there.

I have set up a just giving page to see if I can raise any funds to help, if anyone is able to I would so appreciate it but understand not everyone is financial able to so please don’t feel obliged to. I am unable to copy the link into this post but if anyone would like it please message me and I will send it over. Even if you can’t donate but could share on social media I would be so grateful.

Thank you for your advice and support.

Attached Files:

Ellie Lovatt and Corneal like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice