Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bunny separation and neturing advice needed

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Georgia Hughes, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Georgia Hughes

Georgia Hughes PetForums Newbie

My two male bunnies have been booked in to be neutered on Thursday (1st November), however I have had to separate them due to pulling each other’s hair out and the fear of it become nasty. I’ve put one bunny in the hutch which has a connected run on the bottom and the other one in just a run with a wooden box in as a bed. I’ve put them right up against each other so that they can still see and smell each other but I’m worried about them losing their bond. Will they lose their bond after being separated for a period of time? Or will they be fine once neutered, recovered and put back together?

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

There's not a guarantee either way, I recommend keeping your fingers crossed, keep both buns occupied and through their surgeries and then see. You'll need at least 4 weeks post neuter before they can be reintroduced to allow the last hormone surge to die down. Make sure they have places they can get away from each other's eyeline at the moment, otherwise you risk them sitting their eyeballing each other which could then mean fighting when they're reintroduced. Make sure new introductions are on neutral territory.

3. Georgia Hughes

Thank you!! Due to having to separate them I’m worried about them getting cold during the night because it’s been frosty, will they be ok sleeping alone? I’ve packed both bed areas with hay but keep worrying myself about them not coping well.

4. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

One of these each for the cold nights would be good.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/SnuggleSafe-Microwave-Wireless-Heatpad-Fleece/dp/B0014LJKUA

When they have the surgery, if you do that during the winter, they may need to be indoors to recover for a few days - this either needs to be in an unheated room or have them indoors for the winter, which is very tricky if you're also trying to keep them separate, unless you happen to live in a very spacious house??

5. Georgia Hughes

I’ve got an outhouse/ shed which I’ve put them in now in separate houses. Just such a nightmare having to keep them separate but trying to also keep them close enough together to keep their bond, I just hope after the surgery all goes well!! They’re going in tomorrow morning so will get some more advice from the vet then :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice