Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bunny rabbit bonding advice please

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by xshelly_stanliex, Apr 5, 2011.

1. xshelly_stanliex

xshelly_stanliex PetForums VIP

im getting two female 8 week old rabbits in a few weeks, the breeder i am getting them from also has another female who is around 3 weeks older than the 2 im deffinantly getting i really want her too and the breeder said she will try and start getting them bonded so i can have all 3.

Do you think that they will be ok they are all very young, i plan on getting all spayed when old enough too.

Any advice tips etc would be really appriciated thanks

2. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

There is a risk they will fight once their hormones kick in, most does ive had get hormonal around 12 weeks and alot of vets wont spay them until they are 6 months however any good bunny savvy vet will spay them as soon as they consider them mature enough which can be as early as 4 months. You need to think about the possiblilty you will have to seperate them if this happens and keep them seperate until you can bond them post-spays, even then you are not guaranteed they will bond.

I always advice people to go to rescue and get an already bonded pair or a neutered male/female to bond thats the only way to be sure they will be happy together.

What accomodation do you have for them?

3. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

I would say given their age, they will bond very easily now. The problem may come when they get to about 4-6 months and hormones kick in properly, in which case the spaying would have to be done and then a rebond done :)
    Just make sure that they are actually all girls, had that problem myself :)

Just realised me and Crofty posted at exactly the same time!

*Heidi*

4. xshelly_stanliex

Thanks for the replys, the breeder has said she wont put the girl on hold in case someone else is interested in the girl from the other litter which is fair enough as they may not get on so i may not be having her but if no one else is interested and they bond ok i will be getting her, i have a 54" x 20" x 39" hutch which i can seperate into two hutches. I also have a run for the garden for on the grass but plan on getting another run to go around the hutch so they have extra room.

5. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Oh crikey sorry hun but that hutch isnt big enough for one bunny let alone three!! If you are getting two buns you'll need a 6ftx2ftx2ft hutch min, preferably with a run attached although as long as they get at least 7 hours run time a day i wouldnt worry too much. If you are getting three you'll need a playhouse/shed setup.

6. xshelly_stanliex

They will get time out of the hutch everyday weather permitting, even if not we have a garage which they will be able to run around in for the first couple of weeks until they have gotten use to and been properly introduced to our 2 dogs and our cat then we will let them run about in the house supervised, they will not be left in the the hutch all day with no time to get exercise outside of there hutch.

Im hoping to get a metal or wood run to go around the hutch which the lower door will be open all the time so they have more space all the time to run about.

Michelle

7. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

What size rabbits are they you are getting?
    If it were 2 nethies or similar may be ok short term but as they grew up you would need something bigger. Any breed much bigger wont be able stand up fully, they should also be able to do a minimum of 3 full hops from one side to the other and stretch out fully.
    If you are getting bigger rabbits you will need a much larger hutch. For 3 rabbits, as Crofty has said, a playhouse/shed would be better suited :) There are alot of the wooden ones on ebay usually like these http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_...kw=used+wendy+house&_sacat=See-All-Categories.
    It would still need a run, but its easy enough to put a hatch/cat flap in the side into the run :)

*Heidi*

#7 hazyreality, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  8. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

It makes no difference, that hutch is about 4ft, that is not big enough for any bun to be shut in for any length of time :( and certainly would be cruel to put three buns in.

9. xshelly_stanliex

They are dwaft lops, they would not be shut in the hutch if i had a run going all the way around it. The door would be open to the run all the time.

Michelle

10. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Dwarf lops are pretty big! I have a dwarf lop and he's a very big chunky rabbit.

They may have extra exercise room but two rabbits will need a bigger sleep / home space than you have.

11. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Its still not a suitable sheltered space for one dwarf lop let alone three im afraid.

Petitepuppet likes this.
  12. xshelly_stanliex

Im only getting 2 now, the other girl i was looking at was sold. for the best anyway.

I plan on getting a bigger hutch/living area in the future too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice