Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bunny Pregnant?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by kiara, Jul 15, 2009.

1. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

Hi all
    I have been asked to foster a mini lop doe who is 12 weeks old, i have been told that untill now she has been keep in a hutch with her brother of the same age, is it possible that she could be pregnant. The rescue have told me that it isnt possible untill they are at least 16 weeks. is this true or is it a possibility?
    thanks
    xx

Missymoo likes this.
  2. Missymoo

Missymoo PetForums Senior

I thought it was 12 weeks?

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Yes, it is possible. Many does will become fertile at a very young age.

Fingers crossed that she isnt. It would be a huge strain on such a young body.

4. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Which rescue told you that??:confused: Yes she could be pregnant, if you want her i'd take her to the vet and see if she is, if shes very early you can have an emergency spay.

5. kiara

kiara PetForums VIP

when do they become fertile, both male and female?
    how far along would she have to be for the vet to know?
    would it be a problem as they are brother and sister?
    what kind of trauma would this cause such a young animal?
    also my vets policy is to neuter any animal from the age of 6 months and prefers to wait longer if possible, do you think he would consider emergency spay in such circumstances?
    thanks

6. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

I would say with such a young bunny not to mention it's with her brother the vet would do an emergency spay. I think its about 3-4 months they become fertile. Apparently you can tell about 2 weeks in but the breeders on here will be able to tell you better than me.

7. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

it would be very unlucky to be pregnant at 12 weeks, I knew of someone who had 2 "sisters" and at 5 months there was suddenly a nest, so its deff possible at 16 weeks, hopefully she'll be ok, it would be very nasty to have kits so young

8. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

It really depends on the rabbit, most does and bucks from a litter are seperated at 8 weeks for safety. If shes in the first few days the vet wont be able to tell so if it were my bun id have her spayed immediately incase, my young doe was done at 14 weeks becasue she had to have a op on her ear at 12 weeks otherwise i would have got her done then. If your vet is experienced with buns they will spay her now as long as she is mature enough, 6 months for every animal is odd :confused: buns are different to cats and dogs. Bucks are done when there balls have dropped and some vets do prefer to do does at 6 months, but mine have always siad they are done when they are mature enough.

Having kits now would not be good for a bun this young to cope with, she may reject them and there may be complications with the birth. Aslo the fact they are brother and sister is more concerning, the kits may end up with genetic problems.

9. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

Although very rare rabbits can breed as early as 8 weeks so there is a small possibility she could be pregnant.
    As people have said most breeders seperate at 8 weeks to be absolutely sure.
    It is a shame that a rescue does not know such simple facts of the animals in their care.

10. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

My bun was very young when she became pregnant, it put enormous strain on her body. She had 3 litters over a couple of months and she was just skin and bones as all the nutrients from her food, went to her babies and not her.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice