Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

bunny heaven :(

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by gem88, Nov 12, 2013.

1. gem88

gem88 PetForums VIP

both my girls have gone to bunny heaven. they went 12 days apart and im totally devastated. they all started to loose weight so i took them to the vets and was given some stuff for a parasite (i've completely forgotten what it was called im so tired atm) pepper and vinegar put weight back on but salt stayed thin. they said to give it a week. on friday 25th ,which was day 6, i went out in the morning to see salt hunched in one corner, she was clearly in pain so rushed her the vets. she had lost more weight in less than 48 hours as i'd been checking her daily. the vet took less than a minute to tell me there was nothing she could so. i was heart broken :( i had the vet check the others she said that they were fine and would be ok if i carried on with the treatment.

Vinegar and pepper seemed to be coping ok. i was more worried about vinegar as salt was her sister. i was checking on them more than usual, spent more time with them but last wednesday i found vinegar had died in the night. given what the vet had said i gave them a call and we agreed that it was probably a mix of heart ache and that that was the only night fireworks had been close by for me to worry. (i was keeping an eye but they didnt seem phased. i went to bed about 11)

im totally heart broken, they had come along so well, nothing like the shy little shells that had come to me, but bold and curious. poor pepper is back to being on his own. i've had him thoroughly checked and he's fit as a fiddle. i've extra winter proofed his hutch and run as he's now on his own and will feel the cold more. he looks so bored and lonely though :(

2. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry for your losses :(

3. Holtie

Holtie PetForums VIP

I am so sorry for your loss - you did everything you could for them.

(((HUGS)))) to you

R.I.P Vinegar & Salt - run free at Rainbow Bridge

xxx

4. Summersky

Summersky PetForums VIP

That is so sad, and I'm so sorry you have lost your buns so closely together.

Was Salt prescribed Panacur, perhaps?

Perhaps you could look into using a Snugglesafe for Pepper when it gets very cold. They hold their heat for several hours, and are particularly useful overnight. Sometimes a baby safe cuddy toy helps (if they are not a chewer). Pile in loads of hay to snuggle down into as well.

Without wanting to alarm you, a rabbit's health can suffer if they are lonely, so do pop in new toys/boxes to explore, from time to time, to stop him moping.

It might be a good idea to see if a local rescue has any single, ready spayed does available, that you potentially date/bond him with. Do take him to the vet for a full health check first though, to make sure he is 100% fit.

Also, if you feel you weren't well enough supported by your vet with Salt's care, it might be wise to look into finding a good, rabbit savvy vet. There are many reasons for weightloss, some treatable, some not, and these were hopefully being investigated.

Because we have several rabbits, we have autopsies done when there is no clear reason for them dying. So when we had our first sudden, unexpected death of a seemingly healthy, but older rabbit this summer, who had been eating and acting normally, it showed that she actually had lung cancer. Big shock, but at least we knew.

Within weeks, her bonded friend collapsed with something completely different. So it can happen, sadly. I don't think her loss caused his problem, but it wouldn't have helped.

(((((((((((((Run free Salt and Vinegar)))))))))))))))))

5. Neelam

Neelam PetForums Member

It always make me almost cry myself to read these sad news.

I am so sorry for you. May Salt and Vinegar rest in peace.

6. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

So sorry :(

7. Funky

Funky PetForums VIP

I fully understand how awful you feel.
    I am sorry to hear that you have lost both of your babies withing shirt time if space.
    I would definitely thoroughly check other bunny to make sure there is nothing going on.
    I would also get him new partner as if he used to company it will be difficult for him to old with such a big changes.

8. LouLatch

LouLatch PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear about Salt and Vinegar! Its so sad when they go but at least they are together now. R.I.P little ones.

Hugs to you and Pepper! x

9. gem88

gem88 PetForums VIP

thanks everyone. poor hubby got so worried about me as last night was the first night i'd slept properly since loosing them.

Because we have several rabbits, we have autopsies done when there is no clear reason for them dying. So when we had our first sudden, unexpected death of a seemingly healthy, but older rabbit this summer, who had been eating and acting normally, it showed that she actually had lung cancer. Big shock, but at least we knew.

Within weeks, her bonded friend collapsed with something completely different. So it can happen, sadly. I don't think her loss caused his problem, but it wouldn't have helped.

(((((((((((((Run free Salt and Vinegar)))))))))))))))))[/QUOTE]

summersky - yes it was panacur, couldnt remember what it was called. all 3 had it.

i've piled in the hay to keep his hutch warm. hubby is getting me a hutch cover ordered as well which should be here over the weekend. im going to find him a little toy to keep him company for the time being

i was going to look at a new wife bun but the bit that worries me is finding a suitable one that is already outside as if i know an in bun cant go out this time of year.

i am going to get pepper thoroughly checked over. i actually have a money off voucher that i've been meaning to use thanks to his insurance so i will use that towards his fees. he's my first bunnie, as hard as it is loosing the girls it would destroy me utterly to loose him to something i could have prevented

thank you xxxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice