Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bunny diet

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Dani1994, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Dani1994

Dani1994 PetForums Newbie

Hi, due to the current circumstances in the world I have had to bring my bun home from the nursery I work at- which I can only imagine is quite stressful for him. But also he is quite overweight, I had decided to cut back on his pellets and treats and introduce some more herbs and leafy greens but he now has had diarrhoea for several days. Don’t shame me, I want what’s best for Freddie, I want him to be a healthy weight again but how should I be doing this? Is the move plus a new diet too much? He seems absolutely fine within himself over than this. thank you

2. Merixie

Merixie PetForums Member

What is his normal diet and the amount of pellets?

Myself have a little overweight bunny, he only gets hay and a little veggies. So no pellets until he go down in weight again.

I would pull back the veggies, because a bunny would need to be introduced slowly over a few weeks until they can eat a normal veggie diet.

It’s like when you make the bunny used to eating fresh grass. You start short times and then during a few weeks let them have more time to eat fresh grass. This is just to make sure their intestine flora kept at bay.

My other bunny a holland lop get one tablespoon pellets, leafy greens and free amount of hay. That’s his diet and he keep a good weight, the overweight it’s a netherland dwarf (he weights 750 grams and he’s supposed to weight 500 grams). The problem with parents feeding the pets behind my back

3. Corneal

Corneal Shelly

A rabbits diet should be changed slowly as it can cause loose poopies. their diet should also be 5% pellets, 25% veg and 70% hay. 5% = 15g/1 egg cup of pellets a day, while their daily veg should be herbs, leafy greens along with brocoli, sprouts, beans, celery and other safe veg. however stay away from lettuce and carrots as are bad for rabbits.

Dani1994 likes this.
  4. Dani1994

I usually give him hay, kale, spring greens, and carrot/parsnip with half a bowl of pellets. He’s getting older (around 7-8) so he’s been getting picky with what he will eat.

I think I have been giving him too many root vegetable. Though the children at my work where he usually lives likes to give him treats too!

He’s a Rex I believe( I rescued him) I’m not sure how much he currently weighs but is definitely putting on the pounds haha. I will reduce his intake but slower and hopefully that will help

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

What size housing does he have?

He needs ample room to exercise as well as a good diet.

6. Dani1994

I brought his outdoor hutch from my work with me, a 2 tier large one. But he was unhappy with this - stamping all night. I brought him inside with an indoor cage but he has full free range of the spare room all day. Unfortunately I only have a patio and not grass so can’t let him roam the garden

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice