Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bullying cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Amanda6911, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Amanda6911

Amanda6911 PetForums Newbie

So i have a female cat(2 years old) and a male cat around the same age. Before she got spayed she had a litter of kittens(both over 1 now) and i kept them both! Since shes been spayed shes turned very aggressive towards her kittens! One in particular she literally seeks him to attack. She does it with my older male and her other kitten also but shes much worse with this one! and he is terrified to be anywhere near her now. I am looking for advice on how i can maybe solve this issue or how i can even make all cats more comfortable in the house. All cats are neutered so it cant be anything to do with that! any help appreciated

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Amanda6911 and welcome :)

It is not unusual for a mother cat to want her kittens gone once they are past the age of sexual maturity. The fact they are all neutered makes no difference. She knows they are her offspring and she does not want them near her.

Cats are very protective of their territory and their resources, and many mother cats do not want to share their resources with their adult offspring. It is not fair to keep the poor kitten-cats in an environment where they are being attacked or treated aggressively by the mother. You need to rehome the kittens, as the mother cat lived with you before she had the kittens, I assume.

The only alternative is to divide your home in two permanently e.g. with a door on the stairs, and keep the mum cat and the kittens apart from each other for the rest of their lives. It can be done - I have done it - but it is a lot of work keeping every one happy. I would not do it again.

I am sorry the mother cat has rejected her grown up kittens, but she is not going to change I'm afraid. If you leave things as they are you will end up with one or more cat with chronic health related stress problems such as feline cystitis or over-grooming. Which would be very unfair on the kitten-cats when they could have happy lives away from their mother.

#2 chillminx, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice