Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

bullying at home....

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by zozzen, Jul 2, 2009.

1. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

I've rescued a small dog which was weak, skinny and shy. The new dog enjoyed having time with my energetic female dog and they played well, so i let them run together.

A few days later, something changed. She jumped over him and a stair accident occurred. Although he wasn't hurt physically, since then he's been scary of my dog. Even worse, my dog has kept jumping over the new dog, chasing him whenever we go for a walk, biting him for fun, stopping him to eat and stealing his food.

I've isolated them when i'm not home and given them different bowls for water and food. When he's bullied, i always say 'no' to my female dog and stop her, but nothing helps the new dog to remove his fear on my dog.

How should i deal with this?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I honestly havent a clue.

You might need to seek the help of a behaviourist who can see the behaviour first hand. Its very hard for people to give good advice without actually seeing the dogs.

How long have you had this new dog?

3. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

the dog has been adopted for more than a month and his behavior suggests he was trained but was abused by both dogs and humans before. As far as i know, he's been feral around my community for a half year and he was fed by rubbish and several families occasionally.

i don't know any information about behaviourist. Do you have more information on this? Is it different from a vet?

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

What country are you in?

5. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

I'm living in china. I can't find out any information about it in a yellow page, possibly it's too new to this country. :(

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Im sure there may be a few, but i imagine they are hard to find.

Do you have form of training classes over there?

7. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

As far as i know these courses are only available in big cities in China. I'm working in a rural china so DIY is the only way to go.

Do you think obedience training can help an abused and frightened dog?

8. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Whilst all dogs should be trained, i doubt a class is a suitable environment for a nervous dog. I was thinking more along the lines of getting some advice from the trainer.

Im not sure what to suggest, hopefully some more experienced members can offer some advice.

9. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

And thanks anyway, you're being very helpful.

I'm going to make small research on this too.

10. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Hi. Well done for taking on this dog.

Your old dog is trying to establish herself as the boss. You need to work on building up the new dog's confidence. How often are you walking them together? You say your dog is very energetic, you need to burn her energy with lots of walking, so that she is calmer in the house. This is going to take time, ensure that the dogs time together is always positive, that way the memory of this incident will fade.

The key to solving this problems is the building up his confidence so he can stand up for himself. Take him to new places, do training exercises with him and ensure dogs are seperated when you cannot supervise. Even if you are at home, for now, only allow the dogs together if you are in the room.

x

11. zozzen

zozzen PetForums Junior

It always comes to my curiosity how i can burn the energy of my girl. We go jogging every day until all my energy is exhausted. After that, i ride a bike and she follows me for as far as 20km. When we're home, "calmer" is anything far from describing her. She's kept bullying the dog, pulling the leash so hard and jumping over my dog. She's not good at this, she's great. Her health and energy is greater than any toy breeds i've ever came across.

Goodvic, thanks for your advice on building up the new dog's confidence. I'm looking for some obedience training materials online and hope that everything will only go until i'm sure i understand the proper way to deal with it. I've walked him around 5 times a week and meet as many people as i can. Some progress is seen, but his unusual fear on my dog hasn't changed yet. A long way to go....

12. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

It is a lengthly process. Maybe your girl needs more mental stimulation i.e clicker training or just standard training.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice