Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bullmastiff

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by stevo, Jul 14, 2009.

1. stevo

stevo PetForums Newbie

Bit of a tricky one this but our rescue bullmastiff eats her own faeces, she seems really happy and has settled in well, loves her food and isn't going hungry, we suspect she did this in then rescue centre, but we're not sure how to stop it, or whether it's harmful. I can't ask the vet as their angle will be to buy their food!! any ideas??

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

What food do you feed?

3. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

what sort of food are you giving? and sorry to ask this but how r the poos? :blushing: i read somewhere that sometimes eating their own faeces is a sign that they are not getting all the nutrition that they need or are that the food is going through too quick to absorb all the nutrition.
    However, it may well be (as you said) that this is a previous habit which she hasn't shaken - it doesn't sound like she had a great life previously judging by your other post and she may have been hungry or not fed very well in her first life :( poor thing! well done to you for taking her on :thumbup1:
    no idea how to stop her doing it though - other than teaching the off/leave command, watching constantly and being quick to use it. Maybe use some extra good treats for that one!

4. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Try adding pineapple to her meals - apparently it makes the poo unpalateable :)

Should break the habit.

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

The pineapple can work i would definetly try it,

My youngest started to eat poo not her own or my other dogs, but some poo that was about on our walks and i was told that if the poo was from a dog that was fed a poor quality food(not suggesting you feed poor quality) then the food is not all digestable so the undigested food will be like a "treat" to her:eek:hmy: so i wondered if she has a problem with her stomach and she is not digesting all her food, she does sound as though she has been through the mill in the past. Good on you by the way for giving her a lovely home, it cant be easy when there will be so much of her past unknown. Good luck with her.;)

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Make sure you pick it up as soon as she goes.

Problem solved :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice