Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bulldog puppy is a terror... help!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by JJ85, May 10, 2017.

1. JJ85

JJ85 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

2 weeks ago we picked up a beautiful male bulldog puppy. He is 11 weeks old.

We have cleared out the spare room so he has his own room with a crate and plenty of toys.

For the first few days & nights he was an absolute dream apart from the odd nip!

The last week and a half has been HELL for me. He constantly bites me and when I tell him off he gets worse... growling and lunging at my face. I've tried distracting him with a toy, I've tried ignoring him, I've tried putting him in time out... I feel like I've tried everything but nothing works!! I feel like he hates me as he doesnt do this with my husband or kids.

We have another dog. An 8 year old yorkie cross and I don't remember her being this difficult when she was a pup.

The puppy also absolutely terrorises my older dog... chasing and biting her all the time. To the point where she shakes and has also had enough!!

My puppy also no longer sleeps through the night. He wakes howling and throwing himself at the stair gate between 2am and 4am everyday and will not give up until we get up. We've tried ignoring him but he just doesn't stop and I'm worried the neighbours can hear him.

I'm seriously considering getting rid of him as he has me in tears almost everyday!! My husband and kids would be devastated as to them, he's the best dog ever!!!

Everyone keeps telling me "it'll get easier" but when?? In a week? A month? A year? I don't know how much longer I can put up with him!!

His toilet training is about the only thing he doesn't really well!!

As I write this he's pouncing up my legs and barking :(

Help...???

2. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

You've had him, what, three weeks? That's nothing. He's still a tiny baby figuring out what's going on and what to do.

First things first, do NOT allow him to bully your older dog. It is YOUR job to step in and prevent that from happening. Move him away before he gets too boisterous.

3. JJ85

JJ85 PetForums Newbie

We put him in time out whenever he goes for her but he just literally screams the house down and doesn't stop.

4. Legshand

Legshand PetForums Member

I suggest you try & get him back to the breeder or rehomed, the whole social/dog scene you describe & your feelings & respones to the whole scene are purely negative, nothing 'wrong' with that, but it does need to be resolved.
    The 'whole' relationship(s) is not what you expected, not what you wanted and cannot be sustained. At the pups age, in the right hands & environment he could well make an amiable companion for someone, your move.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

FFS, its an ELEVEN WEEK OLD PUPPY!!!

Op, i think you need to decide on a training technique, and stick to it rather than chopping and changing. Your pup most like simply doesnt understand what you want of him at the moment.

tantrumbean, Wiz201, Aahlly and 3 others like this.
  6. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

REALLY??????? This is not a problem dog it's a bloody baby. You can't build a relationship with a dog in 3 weeks .....

7. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Is rehoming your go-to solution for everything???

8. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Op. Expecting your dog to sleep through at 11 weeks old us a push. Do you take him out for toilet breaks during the night? Does he sleep with your other dog?

Lurcherlad and ouesi like this.
  9. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Puppies are a challenge. There are literally 1000's of threads about puppy blues so you are not alone feeling this way and it is normal. It does get easier honest x

There is currently a puppy support thread going..

Use distraction to get pup away from your Yorkie, teach a strong leave and give him something else to do, a toy, a game with you something else to entertain him.

10. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

It's a puppy this happens to most people it's called puppy blues, there is no reason at all to rehome the puppy and this advice is ludicrous. You continually stop people getting good sensible advice.

Wiz201 and ouesi like this.
  11. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

His behaviour does sound normal for an eleven week old pup and it's easy to feel overwhelmed at this stage.

You must make it clear to him that he is not to hound your Yorkie and be prepared to step in before things get out of hand.

Aahlly, Lurcherlad and ouesi like this.
  12. spamvicious

spamvicious PetForums Senior

Come along to the puppy support thread, a few of us currently have puppies around the same age and we've all had our share of puppy blues. It can be very hard in the early days and it's easy to feel defeated. Like nonnie said you have to stick to one method of discipline and keep it consistent but I know thats easy to say when you're feeling frustrated and disheartened.

13. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

Biting is important for pups, believe it or not and it allows us to teach them bite inhibition which will be important throughout their lives.

But I feel your pain, another human chew toy here... I have a mutt pup that is a little sod for biting me. My hands are quite literally a bloody mess - never needed plasters so much! I have bruises, holes in my clothes and I have long hair which apparently makes a great tug toy!! :Shifty Lily can be a little snot!

Keep to one method - swapping only confuses your pup.
    Trust me I know it's difficult when you have a toothy little devil biting you and you are desperate for it to stop! But there is no instant cure.

I say "ow" for hard bites - not loud, not over the top just a simple plain "ow" then walk away out of her reach for a minute or so before going back once she has calmed down and I'll give her a fuss. If she is hanging on my clothes I quietly stand still, ignoring her until she releases and then she gets my attention once calm. Other times I always have toys or chews to hand to shove in her gob. https://clickertraining.com/node/725

He is a baby - learning takes time and at the moment he needs to learn humans are rather sensitive.

I don't have another dog - safety gates might be a good idea for you or a house line. You can pull the pup away from your older dog before it all becomes too much. You need to micromanage those situations because he is a pup - they tend to be obnoxious in your face little sods!

Ignore him jumping up you and barking - soon as he sits or keeps all paws on the floor then reward him with a fuss. Be consistent.

Sarah H, Lurcherlad and ouesi like this.
  14. jamat

jamat PetForums VIP

Honestly it will get better....I know easier said than done but it does.....

We got Alfie at 8 weeks and by week 11 we were about to rehome him when I joined here and got a sharp kick up the bum and some very good advice :)

Routine is everything you must set one up...play time, rest time, toilet time (after sleep, after eating, after play). Food at regular times etc. They will quickly learn when things are happening in their day.....

Alfie was a nightmare at night and I was up and down more times than a H**se nickers in the first two to three months.....

But by 7-8 months he was getting there.....don't get me wrong he can still be a pain in the a*se and a complete muppet but the puppy blues quickly went when he had learned the routine of the house.

A big important thing to get right is not with the dog but with the humans in the house.....to set up a routine you all have to buy into it...its great everyone else thinks he's a perfect dog but there is one very unhappy person in the family that has to cope with him more then the others.....That sadly seems to be you....Be honest with your family....tell them your concerns they may not even realise how you feel....

get everyone involved give certain activities to everyone We even had an activity chart on the fridge

The biting can be an issue and needs to be nipped in the bud. If he gets too much when being played with stand up and fold your arms...standing up is important as as it takes the hands and fingers out of reach....turning away means he learns that he will loose play time if he bites....really they do learn this quickly.

At night perhaps now he's settled in he might be a bit fearful at being on his own in a room without you in sight.
    We started by having Alfie's crate in the room with us, then over a period of a few weeks we moved it closer to the door then out onto the landing...he could still see us and hear us when he was sleeping through we moved him down stairs and he just continued to sleep through....if he gets fretful at any time then go back one stage and give it a bit longer.

This worked well for us but then each summer we'd go away to a caravan for two weeks and when Alfie first came with us it was impractical to have the crate with us so since them he's managed to wrangle his way into sleeping at the bottom of the bed ever since....I know I'm a soft touch. :)

All I can add is keep at it its difficult and pleas don't think other peoples dogs are fantastic and yours is a little s**t behind closed doors they all have moments of doubt just like you....Just take a deep breath count to 10 let it out and clean up the poo / sick/ torn up post and enjoy having someone living with you that will give you years of joy, anger, worry and sadness but most of all unconditional love.

Good luck

#14 jamat, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    JJ85 likes this.
  15. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

All sounds completely normal. Keeping him in your room overnight will solve the bedtime screaming. Even if you don't want him in your room, I assure you that puppies are a million times easier to deal with on a decent nights sleep....

Allow him no unsupervised access to your older dog. Puppies only terrorise if they are allowed to do it. You need to be very strict with management when you have a breed that can be fairly obnoxious with a breed that isn't that way inclined. Your Yorkie may not ever be close with this dog but what you don't want is for him/her to grow resentful or scared of the new dog.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  16. JJ85

JJ85 PetForums Newbie

Thank you everyone. We've decided to go "back to basics" and start over with him. I'm going to try and be more patient with him too :) xx

ladyisla, Aahlly, Meezey and 3 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice