Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bulldog puppy blood in urine! Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jlo-sagi, Jul 25, 2020.

1. Jlo-sagi

Jlo-sagi PetForums Newbie

Hi,
    I’m new to this forum so thankyou for reading my post as I’m desperate for help. We have an 11 week old puppy who has been diagnosed with a urinary tract infection after having blood in his urine. He’s had a course of antibiotics but tonight there was a small amount of blood again in his urine. I’m worried sick- his temperament is completely normal, eating, drinking and playful but I feel like I’m not doing enough to ensure it doesn’t happen again and he’s about to get more ill.

the vet has also been quite unhelpful and just said it was ‘rare’ in puppy’s which worried us more. Does anybody have any knowledge in this area? He hasn’t had his second injections yet (they’re due Tuesday) he just seems so young to be sick... He doesn’t look in pain but must be.

Any help would be hugely appreciated! Jen

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Go back to the vet - he might need a longer course of antibiotics.

Silverdoof and Jlo-sagi like this.
  3. Jlo-sagi

We’re worried he’s been misdiagnosed but because of Covid we’re not allowed into the vet so we’re finding these conversations really difficult

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

If your not happy with your vet have a word with another one.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Things might change now as masks are mandatory do vets might allow an owner into the surgery.

I’d ask the question, but it’s not unusual for one course of antibiotics to not do the trick. Given the problems we have with over use now, it’s common to prescribe on the lower side of the scale with the option to extend the course or alter meds as they work in different ways.

Blood tests, scans etc. are pretty unpleasant and stressful for the animal so not rushed into as a rule.

So an extended dose or change would be something I’d be happy to try for another week at least to see if that’s effective.

Vets generally use the least invasive treatment at first, unless it’s obvious a condition needs aggressive intervention.

I’d ring the vet this morning and have an earnest chat with them.

Sarah H and Jlo-sagi like this.
  6. Jlo-sagi

That’s really useful to know, thankyou- I felt like we were being fobbed off a bit and basically charged £80 for a medication. is there anything I can do to help him along? I feel like I’m doing something wrong for him although he’s eating well and drinking.
    I keep thinking he’s going to die but I am 8 months pregnant so my hormones are raging! Ha.

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Tbh if he’s eating and particularly, drinking well that should keep his kidneys/bladder flushed while you get on top of whatever is causing this.

It’s understandable that any sign of blood can be alarming (hormones won’t be helping ;)) but if there is inflammation from a bladder infection it can cause this - it doesn’t have to be sinister.

Let us know how you get on after you’ve checked in with the vet. Hopefully, he just needs a few more ab’s.

8. Jlo-sagi

So you were right! Hes been put on stronger medication. The vet weighed him again and said he’d put on a lot of weight (not unhealthy amounts, just normal puppy weight) and that the meds were maybe too weak...

He seems fine and taking his meds really well. I’m still worried but have to trust he’ll be better. Fingers crossed he can have his injections on Friday!

Sarah H and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. Jlo-sagi

So, I’m back again- the puppy has started bleeding again and it’s as bad as before. I’m at a total loss. He still has a week left on medication. Do we leave it until then? Or contact the vet? I’m not sure how much more we can take. He seems fine but he clearly isn’t. :(

10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

It's time for the vet to take a urine sample and run some cultures.

Jlo-sagi and Lurcherlad like this.
  11. Happy Paws2

You need to get a urine sample and make appointment to see your vet so he can test it. I really wouldn't leave it another week.

edited for spelling

#11 Happy Paws2, Jul 31, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
    lorilu, SusieRainbow and Lurcherlad like this.
  12. Happy Paws2

Yes, sorry we all make mistakes:(

Lurcherlad likes this.
  13. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d ring the vet today.

SusieRainbow and Happy Paws2 like this.
  14. Jlo-sagi

Thank-you everyone- we are at a different vet tomorrow morning at 9.30 (Our vet doesnt do his original injections so we are going back to the breeders) so we're going to see what he says. We don't think he will let Willis have his injections although on the phone he said that if his tempremant is good and he's eating and drinking as normal then unless he has a temperature they wouldnt necessarily not do them but he will check him over tomorrow. (I don't know how everyone feels about that?)
    Again, he's tail wagging, demolishing his meals and doesnt look or seem in any pain but this can't be normal. Hes only a baby so it's really hard to watch. Also, becasue he hasnt had his second injections he's not allowed out the house which is so tough on all of us. It's meant to be a happy time but doesnt feel it....

15. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I do that a lot too. But it is better (in my opinion) to edit the post with the correction to avoid confusion. :)

Jlo-sagi and SusieRainbow like this.
  16. Happy Paws2

Do you have a garden, if so you can let him outside.

Are you taking him out with you, you can carry him to the shops and stand outside and let him see the world and meet people.

Sarah H and Lurcherlad like this.
  17. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

He can go out and be carried without the second injection. Have you managed to collect urine for a test ? Is it worth chatting to the breeder. They may be able to help? PS I must insist upon a bulldog pup photo :)

Lurcherlad likes this.
  18. Happy Paws2

Done :)

Lurcherlad and lorilu like this.
  19. Happy Paws2

Yes I agree......Picture Please:)

20. Jlo-sagi

Awww thanks all for asking to see him! this forum has got me through some really hard days so far... its' been amazing so thank-you just for responding. Yes, we take him to the shops and carry him and we have him in a pen in the garden so he's not completely isolated. I think a lot of it is just the sight of the blood on the little thing. You'd have to be made of stone not to feel for him (plus I'm pregnant so that doesnt help! my partner really pushed to get a pup so we had a few months all together at home to be a family- but he's been sick for the entire time so my hormones are brutal
    Willis.jpg

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice