Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bulldog going bald!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by ShonaW, Aug 6, 2018.

1. ShonaW

ShonaW PetForums Newbie

I’m at my wits end. Please I’m not looking for judgement just advice.

So over the span of a month our English bulldog puppy had developed a red rash on his tummy which seemed to weep but then healed so we thought it was a heat rash. A week later he appeared to have scabs under his fur which looked like scales which is the best way too describe it! Then in the last fortnight his fur is falling out in clumps with the scabs attached!! We bought an antibacterial shampoo which seemed to help. But then the last two days it’s flared up again and he’s itching like crazy! And is red. I’ve had to put one of my sons old t shirts on him to stop him scratching so much. It’s so embarrasing taking him for walks :( I feel like people are going to make comments and blame us. He really does look awful!

Yes I have booked him a vets appointment which is next Friday! My only problem is we have to pay for the treatment as our pet insurance won’t cover it as he developed the rash a month before the cover started!. We haven’t got that much money so limited to when we can take him depending when we get paid. I feel awful honestly. I was supposed to ring the vets this morning but I’ve got no call time :(

Anyone experienced this ? Feeling really anxious about the whole situation. What can I do to soothe him in the meantime? Just want to make him as comfortable as I can until he gets to the vets

#1 ShonaW, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

He needs to see the vet ASAP imo.

I wouldn’t be worried about being embarrassed by other peoples’ reactions to him scratching but very concerned that he is itchy and sore and getting worse.

He can’t wait 2 weeks to get treatment and trying something off the internet could make him worse.

3. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Get him there as soon as you can and talk to them about paying when you get there.

ShonaW and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. ShonaW

ShonaW PetForums Newbie

Thanks for both of your replies. I’m going to see if my husband can lend a phone in work tomorrow to get in touch with the vets x

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

Does your vet have an email address? Might be quicker than waiting for the use of a phone tomorrow :)

Owned by a dog likes this.
  6. ShonaW

ShonaW PetForums Newbie

I’ve just had a look on the website I think it’s just an email for info only. I’m not sure if they’d answer

7. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

You really need to get him to a vets asap. My cat has what we think is a heat rash at the moment and an anti-inflammatory injection at the vets made an almost immediate difference to his itching and scratching. The longer you leave it, the more chance there is of getting an infection.

Happy Paws2, Lurcherlad and ShonaW like this.
  8. ShonaW

ShonaW PetForums Newbie

Unfortunately I don’t think this is heat rash. I think it’s a skin infection of some sort that’s flaring up from time to time or maybe even an allergy. I’m trying to sort something out. I’ve got no money until Friday. My husband is working until Wednesday. I don’t drive so I’d have to walk. I’ve got no one to have my son either. I need to get access to a phone, which I’m hoping my husband can do tomorrow. I’m not making excuses but I am worrying!

9. ShonaW

ShonaW PetForums Newbie

I’m hoping if I can ring them they’d get him in urgently for Wednesday and get him sorted.

10. ShonaW

ShonaW PetForums Newbie

I’ve just got in touch with my hubby through a work colleague. I’ve past the vets number on. I think he’s going to give them a call. Winnie has just had his dinner so he’s eating ok. Thanks for all your help x

11. Jazzybird

Jazzybird PetForums Junior

If money is limited why not try the PDSA?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. ShonaW

ShonaW PetForums Newbie

There’s no practice local to my area. Budgetvets and vets4pets are my local vets practices

13. ShonaW

ShonaW PetForums Newbie

Update - winston is fine they wouldn’t see him until today, he has a fungal Infection and has been given a strong shampoo. The vet was happy with him and nothing to worry about it just doesn’t look pleasant x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice