Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bulldog Advice

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by JuNeil, Jun 25, 2009.

1. JuNeil

JuNeil PetForums Member

Hi All,

We have now had our bulldog pup for approx 2 months and he is 18 weeks old and doing brilliantly. With it being our first dog, we did as much research as possible and so far everything has been as expected apart from a little scare when he got a tummy bug and had to be admitted to the vets.

It is the feeding issue that is bothering us at the moment. We have just moved him from 4 meals to 3 cutting out the later meal which he seems happy with, however being a bulldog and not enjoying going out for walks, we are worried that he is not getting enough exercise and may be getting a bit podgy! He has plenty of exercise with us through playing in the garden but when he has had enough that is it - he just flops!

I know there are quite a few bulldog owners on here so am hoping for a bit of advice. We do not want to overfeed him but at the same time, we want him to get all the correct nutrients to keep him growing. He goes through phases of having runny poo aswell which worries us but I think it is the fact that he eats loads of leaves and god knows what in the garden and loves licking bird poo!!

He has such a brilliant personality and is defintely a happy dog but I just want to keep checking things - its a worry being a doggy parent!:confused:
    Julia

2. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Please don't cut him down to three meals a day yet, with each meal if he's got runny poo's give a tablespoonful of Natural Bio Yogurt with each feed, this should help sort his tummy out.

I would try and encourage four 10-15 minute short walks everyday, he will beable to cope with that.

Out of interest what are you feeding him?

3. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

a young puppy shouldnt be getting too much exercise at his age anyway so i wouldnt worry too much there, when he is about 1 year old you can do more with him as his little bones are still growing now:) they do go through the podgy stage and as long as he is eating his 3 meals he will be fine, but please try and keep him away from the bird poo as this can be deadly to dogs and cause chamlbacteria (sp) and will start with upset tummys, runs etc
    as long as he is running around and eating i wouldnt worry and when he stops and flops he has just had enough for the moment:)

4. archiebaby

archiebaby PetForums VIP

completely agree with the bio yogurt, works wonders:)

5. JuNeil

JuNeil PetForums Member

Thanks Nicci - We are feeding him James Wellbeloved puppy kibble with a small topping of James Wellbeloved wet pouches (half a pouch). He was starting to leave the dry food so we tried the pouches mixed in and he loves them - he definitely enjoys his food better. It is not the pouches that cause the runny poo as he has had them for a while now and has been fine. I will definitely try the yoghurt.
    With regards to the walks, he can cope with the length of walks and seems pretty agile but just getting him out of the door especially in the morning is hilarious and he does not seem to enjoy going out! My neighbours have a good laugh at me trying to encourage him to keep walking!

6. JuNeil

JuNeil PetForums Member

Thanks archiebaby. Will try and keep him away from the bird poo as I definitely think this has an impact. Can't believe he sniffs it out so well!! Am definitely going to try the bio yoghurt as a lot of people have mentioned this on the forum.

7. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Most Bulldogs don't warm to the prospect of being dragged out their bed :D

I've happily strolled down the road with one of mine when he was much younger and ended pushing him back up the road in a childs buggy! Not that bad I hear everyone say, apart from the fact we live on the top of a very steep hill :D

Walks are not that bad now they do enjoy their walks.

There was a saying my husband used to have few years back "Come on doggies lets take you for a drag" as one of our Bulldogs used to have to be dragged, extremely comical for onlookers :D Not really that funny for us :D

JWB is a good quality feed, so no problems there :)

8. JuNeil

JuNeil PetForums Member

Yes - can totally agree with the dragging concept. :D I have actually picked him up at one point to get him past our local shops as I had a bit of an audience. I think I only have about 2 weeks left where I will be able to lift him off the ground at all. If we take him out in the car to the park or woods, he is fine and loves trotting along beside us. He must find the local housing estate boring!:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice