Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bull terrier with anxiety

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Georgiana Popa, Jul 12, 2019.

1. Georgiana Popa

Georgiana Popa PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone, I have an issue with my female English bull terrier. Lately she has signs of anxiety. She won't walk farther than few meters away from the house or garden, and when she does, if we meet with other dogs or she hears dogs barking in the distance without seeing them, she takes the lead in her mouth and pulls me back home. And we can't enjoy a walk in the last few months. It's either she is excited if she sees some cats and she would pull in the lead, or not walking at all and I have to force her to walk. She is taken often to a day boarding where she socializes with other dogs and there she is fine with any size or breed. Is there something I can do myself or does she need a professional trainer to see her? Did anyone had the same problems with their ebt? Thank you.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Are you absolutely sure she’s truly happy at daycare?

I’d be concerned that she is being overwhelmed and is trying to avoid interactions out walking.

Have physical problems been ruled out?

Sarah H and niamh123 like this.
  3. Georgiana Popa

Yes, she is happy. A different dog. I saw photos and videos when she is playing with other dogs and she looks happy. There were no physical problems at all. Not in the daycare or home.

4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Have to agree with Lurcherland sounds to me that she is quite frightened of other dogs especially if she pulls you home if she hears another dog bark even at a distance :( I definitely wouldn't force her to go for a walk if she doesn't want to theres loads you can do with her at home to physically and mentally stimulate her.I have a JRT who is very dog reactive I walk my dogs really early in the morning when there are no other dogs around,perhaps try an early morning walk but if she wants to go back home take her back and don't force her to walk:)
    When she is at day boarding have you seen yourself that she gets on with all other dogs or is it you have been told by the owners of the day boarding that she is fine.Does she go off lead at all if she does how does she behave then.Also although Bullies are built like tanks they are quite a sensitive breed and at 2 years old she is still in her puppy phase:)

Lurcherlad and Beth78 like this.
  5. Georgiana Popa

Thank you for your reply to my problems. At the daycare, she is off the lead and I saw photos and videos where she is very happy. Also, when she didn't know I was there to pick her up she was behaving really well with the staff.
    I have this problem for a while and I didn't force her to go for walks and always took her back home when she wanted, but I can't carry on like this. I don't have enough space in my garden for her to walk and play enough and I personally think that keeping her out of socialization will be even worse for the way she is right now. Also, when we go out and she is having a good day meeting other dogs she plays really nice and we can go on walks with those dogs too. But it doesn't happen very often. Also, she is 4, and yes, still a baby. But I also think she is too spoiled sometimes. That's why I am looking for advice in finding a way to train her and stop her being like that.

6. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Sorry for some reason I thought I read she was 2 been up since 4 am taking the dogs for their morning walk:D

I have been very lucky with my Bullies walking on a lead but they have always had company of another dog to walk with, there are some great posters on here with some great training advice and I am sure they will be able to help you out:)

For a few years I have looked for a UK based Bull Terrier forum but I have never found any active ones I did find an active one in the USA but their training methods are awful they still believe in the owner being the Alpha which has been debunked for a few years and their training methods are very harsh so please don't follow this type of training for your girl:(

Lurcherlad likes this.
  7. Georgiana Popa

Thank you very much. :)

niamh123 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice