Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Building a cat run

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ellisd5, Apr 4, 2011.

1. ellisd5

ellisd5 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I am commited into building a cat run and I have been researching materials and I'm fairly clear about how I'm going to do this.

My issue is the mesh for the run, wanting to keep costs down this is the pricests item. Looking at pictures of cat runs, it seems that they all have used fairy strong meshing (twilweld im told its called) and i have got a price from a local DIY shop that sells it at about £180 for the amount I need.

I have however found chicken wire that is 6 ft in a 50 meter roll for £70 which is perfect.

That is a big saving and a amount leaving some spare for the roofing, I'm just worried that a chicken wire meshed wall may not been strong enough.

Anyone got one that uses chicken wire? Anyone got one using something stronger than chicken wire, is the extra strength of the mesh needed? I read somewhere that cats dont like walking on chicken wire so would a cat really try climb it?

Any opinions much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Depends how long you want it to last. I've never had a cut run (made or bought) which used chicken wire but I have used it around the garden over the years for various things. It rusts easily, is very thin and it's difficult (nigh on impossible) to get it 'rigid' in wooden framework.

I wouldn't want to use it for a cat run, given that cats do like to climb; it's not very strong, particularly when it's been in use for a year or two and becomes rusty/weakened. There's something called Twiweld/Twilweld(?) on the market which comes in a roll which is slightly better but the lighter gauge one is still prone to rusting/tearing.

If you can possibly run to it, cost wise, a heavier gauge welded mesh, so much the better... I honestly think chicken wire would be a false economy as you'd need to replace it after a relatively short time.

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

for £180 you could get a massive cat run off ebay :)

4. gskinner123

A swift bit of googling shows Weldmesh at £61'odd for a 30m roll and that was without looking further for a better price. Unless it's a very big cat run you're building... ?

5. ellisd5

ellisd5 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your replies, not what I was hoping for :001_smile:but it was what I was after so thanks.

The cat run is fairly big, 6ft wide, 10 metres long, running down a side of the garden. It's finding a 6ft wide roll cheap which is difficult, I'm guessing cheap price you found would be for something not so wide, I can find a 25 meter roll for £145 which is better, but then its £20 delivery so pretty much the same price.

There a company called perrfect fence that seem to use a plastic fencing, I've been googling for a 6ft roll of that to see if that is cheaper, had no luck in finding that.

Again, thanks for your replies,
    Please share with me any further thoughts ideas you have.

Thanks

6. gskinner123

Wow, it IS big :)

Does it need wire for both sides of the 10m length or does one side abut a fence?

Trying to picture your design... you've mentioned the wire needs to be 6' wide so I assume the wooden framework it'll sit in will be in 6' 'panels' - i.e. the (wood) uprights set 6' apart? If so I think that will pose even more of a problem with chicken wire as a result of of it being thin/floppy and needing more framework to support it.

Can you run two lots of 3' wide mesh horizontally, top and bottom, with a central horizontal wooden support to staple it onto?

Racking my brain for a more cost effective alternative (story of my life!) but coming up with nothing at the mo.

7. ellisd5

ellisd5 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for reply again,

Wanted to wait until I had visited market again until I posted as u heard a man sold it. Turns out he sells only 3 foot wide rolls, however its £40 for meters for 30 meters of pvc green mesh, or 45 for wire, so at that price, I think the 2 top and bottom stripes is way to go, like you suggested.

So only dilema now is pvc or wire. I think pvc green looks better, and being plastic should last, I thought it seemed strong enough so think id like to use that. Any opinions very welcome, if not thanks for your feedback and hopefully will turn out good

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I'm interested to see what replies you get as i'm hoping to build a run but not as big as yours.My worry with PVC would be that it could be chewed by a cat and chewed fence = hole=escaped cat :eek:,or am I mistaken.

9. ellisd5

ellisd5 PetForums Newbie

Hmm good point, glad you said that, didn't think of that, we got a free sample sent with a catalog from perrfect fencing, and that was some sort of plastic.

Like you be interested to hear opinions, I would think if a company like perrfect fencing use plastic, should hopefully be ok

10. raggs

raggs PetForums VIP

Whatever you do please dont use chicken mesh, its far to dangerous, cats could easily cut themselves when climbing, i bought a roll of weldmesh off ebay very cheap to its 3ft wide and is just right for making panels 6' x 3' which you can then bolt together using coachbolts, by doing it this way its easily added too or dismantled should it ever need be........best wishes.......Chris.

11. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Thanks Chris I was thinking of weldmesh but not sure what gauge to use,What would you suggest :)

12. claire & the gang

claire & the gang PetForums Senior

On ebay theres a company that makes panels with weld mesh in...you buy groups of panels to make your run whatever style you like...they use 9mm weld mesh. The panels are around £15 each for 6 x3 panels.

cat run panels to build your own | eBay UK

Thats the link i dunno if it would be more cost effective to do this & easier:smile: But just to give you an idea even on how they make the panels

13. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

I got some plastic garden mesh for catproofing my balcony. It cost me around £2 for 2x1m. While I was doing the work, Ari had a good time playing with the mesh roll on the floor, hiding inside and rolling around. I thought it could be a good alternative for a cat run material.

14. jenny armour

jenny armour PetForums VIP

just another thought when you build your pen will you putting it on paving slabs?

15. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I was hoping to find some alternative to slabs as I am a bit worried that Meeko being a bit on the clumsy side might fall awkwardly and hurt himself.He kind of thinks he can fly but he cant :D

16. ellisd5

ellisd5 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for comments,

I have seen them panels but garden is on a slight slope so making panels or buying would be awkward.

TatiLie, did your cat chew the mesh, have any interest in that?

17. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

Ari doesn't care about it at all. Today we had tea at the balcony and we watched her for an hour sitting in front of the mesh, just looking outside. I thought she would try to climb or tear it with the nails but it's like it's not even there. She's still a kitten and she probably doesn't know what's she capable of, yet. I think if your cat is inclined to do it, it may take a bit to break through it as I used a wire cutter to trim it.

It was OH's idea to use the plastic ones instead of metal because he was afraid it was going to get rusty or she manages to tear it, she would hurt herself. I find it ugly as it's green in colour and you can see it from the street level (we're in the 1st floor). I think it's this one B&Q Garden & Plant Support Mesh Green (L)5m x (W)0.5m, 0000003066188 we got at our local DIY store. They have a big roll there and sell it by the metre (but ours is 1.0m wide)

#17 TatiLie, Apr 10, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  18. ellisd5

ellisd5 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Seems like ages ago I opened this topic, but over last few weeks I've spent a few days building it and finally finished it yesterday.

Run is 10 meters long, 6ft wide and has a L shaped tunnel running from teh cat flap, over the decking and down a ramp into teh main run. Thank for all you input that helped me decide what to do. Stitchmo seems to be loving using it, took him about 20 goes walking through tunnel and sniffing cat flap then walking back before he finally figure it out :)

Anyway, I did post this for a reason, deciding what to put in the run, I have managed to get a kids playhouse for free off someone who doesn't want it, think Mo will leave laying in teh shade under that, but not sure what to put in there.

I have seen something about Cat Grass, what is it? Also thinking of building a cat tree, what to do it on the cheap again, anybody building one suitable for outdoor use? or ot anylinks of example shapes etc... I'd also leave to make a hammock for him to laze in, anyone done that before?

Thasnks in advance,
    Dale

19. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

pictures please!! :)

20. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

my panels are made using cat-proof 'pond' netting - was £50 for 7ft x 150ft roll at the local garden centre and we stapled it to the frames. Loki climbed it several times and no damage though it does rip reasonably easily I have had no animal damage once it's stapled semi-taut on the panels - even a springer spaniel didn't get through

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice