Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Build up immunity

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Kakite, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Senior

Hi everyone

I feel like Nova has picked up a few tummy bugs since we’ve had her (9 months now) and we’ve ended up at the vets with the more serious ones about 3-4 times. I know dogs pick up bugs every now and then and tummies can get little upsets, but I wondered if there is anything I can do to build up her immunity perhaps?

Any recommendations? At the moment the only supplement I really use for Nova are probiotics every now and then I mix them in her meal if her digestive tract seems to need a little help. Normally she hasn’t got problems with throwing up or loose stools on a regular basis.

Kind regards

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

She is often pictured in water so I wonder if it’s worth doing a bit of research on the water quality of your local rivers, etc?

There might be an industry, livestock or farm chemicals etc. that are affecting the water?

3. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Senior

yeah that’d be a good idea. I didn’t think of that. I will do some research.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Perhaps a 6 week course of her tum supplement.

Kakite likes this.
  5. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Senior

Hey there:

I’m at my wits end... probably because I haven’t been able to sleep through the night for over a week now!

It all started last week. Thursday night we went to see my friend with her two doggies and over night Nova threw up once. But she was fine the next day. Then from Friday to Saturday night she threw up again (once) and loose poops started. Since then she hasn’t thrown up, but her digestive system is completely out of whack. She only poops once during the day at the most and then usually again at 3am. For a few days she had intermittently loose stools and then diarrhoea. On Friday this week I took her to the vet, after a bland diet of chicken and rice hadn’t changed anything. She had no fever, no distentend tummy, but the vet could feel she was really gassy and we had noticed that as well (eeek the worst farts I’ve ever had to smell) and no blood in her stool or anything like that. Pink gums and well hydrated - she has been her usual self: playing, being silly, drinking and eating. Only thing is her pooping during the night, Vet sent us home with probiotics to try first and antibiotics if it doesn’t clear after three days. It’s Sunday today and I’ve started the antibiotics, as I just couldn’t take it any longer. Last night she woke me up to poop twice and while it doesn’t look great, it’s a lot better, still loose but a bit more form in it and also not yellow mustardy anymore but getting brownish? Sorry for the description. Vet recommended to phone if it doesn’t get better by mid week. I just don’t know what to do. Vet said could be food allergies and I need to consider diet changes. But where do I start? At the moment she is on Acana kibble, this one here https://www.pet.co.nz/product/dog/classics-prairie-poultry-dry-dog-food/30650

can diet related things really pop up so quickly? I just seems odd to me, but of course I’m not a vet or super experienced in dog ownership. I wish there was a reset button for her little tummy. Any tips on how I can help her relieve the grassiness?

sorry I’m starting my new job tomorrow and all I can think of is Novas poop!!! Argh feeling so stressed about it.

She is on the antibiotics until Friday and I’ll leave her on a bland diet until then I think. Someone also recommended to fast her for a day, but I’m worried she’ll throw up bile in the night if I do that.

6. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Senior

She is full of energy and happy:

7BF2FBA9-2E74-4175-A359-7550BC8A5700.jpeg

7. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Have you tried Pro Kolin? I swear by this for diarrhoea, have used it on my cats and when Purdey had a bad tummy bug recently, it stopped it very quickly. Like Nova she was on antibiotics, an anti-inflammatory and chicken and rice. Mind you she then didn't go for about three days but her poo soon got back to normal. She does have sickness now and again but not regularly. She eats Arden Grange for large dogs and her poo is otherwise always good. Looking at the Acana food, it does contain a lot of ingredients so she could have an allergy to something in it perhaps. I would also advise not stopping the chicken and rice too quickly because you think its improving, we made that mistake and it just got worse again to begin with.

8. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Senior

Thanks for your reply. Is Pro Kolin the same as Promax?

9. Charity

Not heard of Promax so had to look it up. I would think it does the same job, just got slightly different ingredients.

10. Charity

Just a thought, has your vet checked her poo for any parasites etc. Luckily ours clesred up before we had to go down that route?

11. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Senior

I had that prescribed by the vet, it’s a probiotic paste but after two out of three doses nothing had changed

12. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Senior

No she hasn’t done that yet. But I guess it’ll be the next step if it doesn’t clear up

13. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

How long has she been on the Acana and what was she being fed before,I feed Acana with no problem but the chicken didn't suit mine.My dogs have the Grassfed Lamb.Acana does have quite a high meat content which makes it quite rich.My boys have lovely firm stools and EBT are a windy breed but with this food we don't have to leave the room when Liam lets one go:)

#13 niamh123, Mar 8, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
    Kakite likes this.
  14. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Senior

About 8 months now.

niamh123 likes this.
  15. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Senior

So there has been no poop since 3am last night and I’m worried :(

16. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Senior

before she was on Black Hawk Puppy Chicken & Rice food.

17. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Lets hope the paste is starting to work:)
    Do you think it maybe a little rich for her as she was fed a food with grain in it until 8 months ago ,I give mine Yakult twice a week to help with their gut bacteria:)

Kakite likes this.
  18. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Senior

I’m not sure, it doesn’t seem to have changed over the last week when she’s had chicken and rice and not her kibble. Can it come on suddenly that her gut doesn’t cope with it? I didn’t know you can give dogs Yakult. Might be worth looking into when she is back to normal.

19. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Mine love the Yakult could it perhaps be it's the chicken that doesn't agree with her:)

20. Kakite

Kakite PetForums Senior

that’s what I’ve been wondering too... what could I feed besides chicken meat that’s still bland for her tummy and not too fatty before I go and try a new kibble?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice