Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bugs keeps burning his back....

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Kittenfostermummy, Jan 26, 2015.

1. Kittenfostermummy

Kittenfostermummy PetForums VIP

I noticed the other day that there was a scabby area on Bugs' back and wondered if one of the other cats had bitten him, then we noticed a couple of fleas in the water bowl (Although I couldn't find ANY flea dirt on any of the animals!!???) so I took him to work for a steroid injection and flea treatment thinking he must have flea allergic dermatitis. NOW I have finally figured out what is the matter...

Each night he goes up onto my front room window and goes to sleep, he often all of a sudden falls off the radiator for no apparent reason. Tonight after a fall he started licking what had been an nicely healing area but I noticed it was bright red and REALLY sore again. Reason... the radiator was on and it is just where his back contacts the radiator as he falls into a deep sleep so I think he must be burning himself really badly bless him!!!

I have just applied some fucidin to the burn and placed a blanket over the top of the radiator to prevent him doing it anymore. I feel really bad for him though as it must be blooming painful and he loves sleeping up on the windowsill so for him to suddenly have a searing pain whilst asleep must be so awful and confusing to him!!

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

can you not put a cat blanket on top of the Radiator or turn the radiator down?

3. Kittenfostermummy

I have put a blanket over the radiator so it will just have to stay there and hopefully he will stop getting hurt and soon heal

4. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Oh bless him, maybe he falls off due to the hot sensation? Can you put a radiator bed there for him?

5. wyntersmum

wyntersmum PetForums VIP

Bless. Sending big paddy paw hugs to him xxxx

6. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Poor lad, its amazing how they don't seem to notice when you think how hot radiators get. How about getting him a radiator bed?

7. shortandfurry

shortandfurry PetForums Senior

I would turn that radiator down.
    If it's hot enough to burn skin it's too hot to put a blanket on IMO.

8. LostSoul

LostSoul PetForums VIP

i would try a radiator bed like the other posters have suggested, mine have one and they love it but i am still careful and check the radiator doesnt get too hot but usually they wake up and move away from the heat.

9. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Scale what you think is a burn up to human size. Then consider if it's a size you would get treated if you had it. If it is, go back to the vet. The guidelines for people are if it's bigger than your hand. I certainly would be wary about treating a burn with ointment I happened to have around, even it if was prescribed for a human burn.

Also if I found any fleas in my house (dead or alive) I'd be treating the house with Indorex, RIP Fleas or similar, and treating any furry pets with Advantage.

10. Kittenfostermummy

The burn isn't too big, it did calm down really well with a jab of delvesteron (sp?) which is a steroid which lasts 3-5days. I am only applying the fucidin as one of the vets I work with who is the one who saw him on Saturday told me to apply fuciderm now I don't have any of that at home but the only difference between the two is fuciderm has an antibitoic and steroid in it whereas fucidin only has antibiotic.

I treated all the animals with Stronghold the other day when I noticed the fleas and spoke to the vet about if she thought I should use Indorex, she said as I can't find any flea dirt on the animals it can't be a massive burden and that I should use the stronghold on its own first as Stronghold kills 90% of the flea lifecycle anyway and is the only flea treatment which kills such a high percentage.

If I still have a problem (which I only knew I had as there were a couple of fleas in the water bowl) and I do check them all regularly as I worry I could fetch fleas home from work, I will Indorex the house as well.

I can't get a radiator bed as I have a dog who jumps up at the window and pulls down the beds at the same time (I have tried before) plus knowing Bugs he would still go on the windowsill as he prefers to be higher up.

The stupid boy keeps licking it today and like Treaclesmum I will have a massive problem with him if I have to put a buster collar on him as he totally freaks out with even a normal cat collar!!! ARGGGHHHHH bl**dy animals at the moment are driving me mad lol!!!

11. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Since most of the flea lifecycle is the eggs, larvae & pupae in the environment I can't see how Stronghold on your cat will kill those - the eggs drop off the cat into the environment, the larvae crawl away from light so into dark corners, and the pupae aren't killed by anything. :(

Guess it might kill any eggs being laid now, but not any already laid.

12. Kittenfostermummy

Stronghold is unique in the way that it manages to treat the house as well. You need to allow the animals into all the same places which they normally go post spot on and they cast fur and dead skin. This fur and dead skin is eaten/come into contact with the eggs and larva and kills them on contact. It also steralises the fleas that are on them and the flea poo that is passed post spot on also kills on contact and when eaten.

I sat through a whole lunch and learn all about stronghold and how it treats both animals and the environment and how it differs from other products.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice