Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Buford is biting like crazy

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bufords.mum, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Bufords.mum

Bufords.mum PetForums Newbie

I have been replacing when he bites with his bite toys. He has cloth toys and chewy toys but he can't cuddle without biting. Clothes, face, hands, anything he can get his mouth on. He really gets excited with it. Any suggestions for training him that this isn't acceptable.

2. ian1969uk

ian1969uk PetForums Member

Peggy stopped biting us the moment we got a second puppy :D

3. Bufords.mum

Haha. We said we should have got 2. :rolleyes:

4. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

There are quite a few threads and a good 'sticky' in Training and Behaviour on this. I think the consensus is that although different methods have worked for different people, consistency is the key.

We started by trying the 'yelp' but it excited Kilo more. The method that has worked for us is simply ceasing any fun when teeth touch skin, standing, folding arms and ignoring for a small amount of time, then returning to the previous activity. That is about 90% successful.

Beyond the above, Kilo gets absolutely crazy when he is overtired; a quick time out in his crate (never used in a 'punishing' way - placed in there with a treat and toy) works fantastically. Most of the time he would be asleep inside a minute or two (no exaggeration!!); the rest of the time the door is opened again after 10 min max and a much more chilled puppy emerges.

I thought we weren't getting anywhere, then suddenly it occurs to you that you haven't been nipped for a morning, then a day, then a few days, then only when really excited etc etc and your hands are actually healing ;)

5. Bufords.mum

Thanks. That's useful. It is when he's excited he does it. He works up to a frenzy and its difficult to get him out of it. We don't have a crate and I don't think he would stay in his bed but I will stoppin g fun method and the timeout and see what happens.

6. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Even if you remove yourself from the room for a short time and come back in that should work in a similar way I would think. I know the key with my pup is to voice any command in a calm, firm voice...any raised voice in speed, pitch or tone and it excites him more. I say 'no bite' calmly as Kilo's mouth closes on my hand or whatever but give no other voice or visual attention at all.

7. Bufords.mum

He's a cheeky one. I tried that and he follows me. :rolleyes:: maybe if I close a door?

8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Maybe...I put a baby gate between our lounge and kitchen so that I can control Kilo's access whilst it lets him see what is going on when visitors come whilst allowing him to be separated until he is calm enough to be properly introduced. It works a treat for settling him, same as his crate. It didn't take long for him to realise that the gate opens again when he is calm and any lack of manners means that it closes again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice