Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Buck

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Abbie Holland, May 10, 2020.

1. Abbie Holland

Abbie Holland PetForums Junior

I have a buck about 6 months old now, he’s always seemed to have a delicate tummy and has occasionally been getting very soft poops. The last week it’s been happening a lot more often, he does go back to normal not long after but I’m wondering if I’m doing something wrong. He is fed pets at nuggets and I only give him the recommended amount, I don’t give him an awful lot of veg because of how he seems to react to it but I tend to give him fresh basil, broccoli or cauliflower leafs. He has unlimited hay. He’s yet to be neutered with the coronavirus it’s been difficult to find a vets, but I’m wondering if having not being neutered could be contributing to his tummy issues? Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thankyou

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Is he eating his hay? What hay is it? Some are better quality than others.

Id drop the fresh food altogether right now, then introduce it back very slowly, perhaps starting with herbs such as parsley. Avoid anything from the cruciferous family for now.

Maybe cut his pellets down by about 50% and see if that helps. The P@H nuggets are quite low in fibre compared to other pellets (17%), so maybe consider a change. I use Science Selective (25%) for my old girl, and they also do a product called Fibafirst (30% fibre).

Any change would have to be gradual.

3. Abbie Holland

Yes he does eat hay, he tends to pull it all out and pick the bits out he fancies lol. He has Timothy hay. I will try what you have suggested, I always feel guilty though like I’m starving him by not giving him veg and many pellets because he gets so excited but I’m sure he will get used to it again

4. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

What type of bun is he? I wonder if he's extra sensitive or maybe has mega colon disease.

I would agree to cut out the greens and keep a food and poop diary - so you can try and spot any patterns to his episodes.

You could try introducing foods like Fibafirst sticks and ProFibre pellets which are very high fibre and can help with gut bacteria.

5. Abbie Holland

He’s a mini lop, He hasn’t had any greens today so I’ll see how we get on for the next week. Oh ok I’ll look into them

6. Abbie Holland

Update- Hi again, so we brought a better quality hay for him, cut down the pellets and stopped giving him veg. Everything seems fine so far, I’m attaching a pic of his poop. I think it looks perfectly fine but I would appreciate another opinion?

Attached Files:

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Id be happy with those.

8. Abbie Holland

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice