Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

BSH

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Julie16, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Julie16

Julie16 PetForums Junior

I have recently bought a 8 month old BSH kitten , I thought long and hard about whether to have a kitten or an older cat as I am desperate to have a loving friendly cat as previously had a shy timid one that didn't really want to interact in any way with me so decided on a kitten as I thought they would settle easier however the kitten is now hiding under the bed all day and only comes out after dark when I'm in bed I have tried to coax her out with toys etc but nothing works so I'm gutted that I have made the wrong choice and that I'm going to be stuck with another unsociable cat. Can anyone give me any advice or has anyone been through the same thing.
    Thanks

2. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

How recently, as at 8 months old, it can take a while.
    I normally sit on the floor reading a book aloud but softly, have a feather wand stick to play with.
    It will take time as everything in new to your cat, but it can be done.

Was the cat fine with you when you went to collect, guess it must have been, otherwise you wouldn't have taken it.

3. Julie16

Julie16 PetForums Junior

It's only been 3 days I guess I'm just panicking, when we went for her she seemed a bit shy but was ok playing with the lady we got her off and was climbing on everything

catcoonz likes this.
  4. catcoonz

catcoonz PetForums VIP

3 Days is very early.
    It can take a few weeks, so see how things are then, do sit on the floor in the room and speak softly.
    Sit and wave a feather stick or play with toys by yourself, sounds crazy, i know, but worth it.
    Key thing is never to go and grab the cat, always let the cat come to you.

Good luck and hope in a weeks time you are back with positive news.

AmsMam likes this.
  5. Julie16

Julie16 PetForums Junior

Thanks I will give it a go

catcoonz likes this.
  6. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Did you get her from the breeder or someone else ? If not the breeder she may just be feeling a little overwhelmed by the change.

7. Julie16

Julie16 PetForums Junior

She came from a breeder

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice