Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bsh

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by 2lisa2, Aug 24, 2013.

1. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

I've been looking for a bsh kitten for a while I've noticed theirs a lot of breeders that do t have the pkd test done is pkd always inherited from one of their parent or can a kitten have pkd from parents that are pkd negative I'm a bit clueless with health test I just want to make sure I'm buying a healthy kitten thanks in advance :)

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

If parents are PKD neg then kitten will be too.

3. pipje

pipje PetForums VIP

If both parents of lets say the mum tested negative for the PKD1 gene, then the mum is also PKD-negative. Same story for the dad. So I guess, in this case, it can be assumed that the kitten also does not carry the PKD1 gene.

There have been stories of cats testing negative who eventually went on to have PKD kittens so I guess sometimes lab mistakes or whatever happen (but is rare).

4. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

Thanks for your replies I just noticed when looking an making enquiries quite a few breeders don't test for pkd that why I asked was wondering how important the test was example if they can get pkd anyway if both parents are negative

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

It would be very rare (i.e. a mix up at the lab for results) - I would DEFINITELY go for kittens whose parents are PKD neg - why risk it?

6. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

No I wouldn't risk it I just wasn't sure if they could have pkd anyway with negative parent thanks for clearing that up for me can't understand why breeders don't test first :)

7. pipje

pipje PetForums VIP

Well, don't assume that if a breeder doesn't test for PKD, that the parents are tested. Make sure to ask and make sure you have proof (copy of test results).

If not, the PKD test is really cheap so it can be easily done by breeders.

8. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

It's always good to check ... I test ... It's peace of mind that my breeding cats will not pass on PKD to there offspring

We have a litter Eight weeks old .. And went out to stud, I still ask for the certificate of neg PKD, so I know these little ones are Ok

9. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

Thanks I will do to would think that they would test especially if its cheap to do :(

10. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

Is their any other test that should be done that I need to be aware of bit of a bad experience in the past so want to make sure I get a healthy fur baby x

11. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Most breeders do DNA test so they know what thier cat carries ... Ie longhair gene and blood type , so it's just other tick box

It's not hard to do and take no time at all

Good luck in your search ... You cannot go wrong with a British

12. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

I no their beautifull cats I had 2 both sadly past now it's been a while now so feel its time to get another :)

13. pipje

pipje PetForums VIP

Easiest is to find a good breeder, then you can be sure that they aren't bybs. lots of uk users here so I'm sure someone can point you in the right direction if you tell them what colour e
    tc you want

14. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

Thanks I'm looking for a blue boy merseyside area willing to travel though if anyone's reading this lol :)

15. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

I only have girls and no blue selfs .. If you look on the british shorthair club website under breeders list .. I do know a breeder in your area but she mainly does colourpoints

16. Lisac27

Lisac27 PetForums Member

Just a quick note to say that make sure your kitten is GCCF registered or TICA etc registered. I had a quick look on pets4homes and there were LOADS of BSH on there but virtually none were registered. I was surprised by how many unregistered kittens of this breed there were on there :(
    I do love the BLUE ones :D

17. wicket

wicket PetForums VIP

yes Lisa i correct there are many many BYBs within the BSH breed - Im not sure about your area but in mine GCCF reg kittens sell quick - took deposits for my current litter of six in 5 days and that was being fussy and turning down people I didnt think were suitable

Good luck with your search. I love the blues :)

18. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

I've noticed that to no being registered is a must ive had to blue baby's before but just wasn't sure on the pkd thing an health test I'm afraid theirs so many dodgy breeders on pets4 homes its scarey half of the are not even bsh an the price is so varied I think I've found one an then I notice will be going with first set of vacs an I no good breeders do both sets or their letting them go to early an it puts me of their one man selling 5 queens an he thinks 2 are pregnant why would you do that god know we're they will end up :(

19. Cosmills

Cosmills PetForums VIP

Yes.... It's a battle we have with BYB .... It really does get our backs up

All the breeders on here register there litters ... So if you need any help just ask before you buy ... We can tell you wants good and what to walk away from

There is a few BSH breeders on here with litters..

Blues are lovely ... I have a blue cream that is staying but I would have loved for her to be a Blue

Attached Files:

20. 2lisa2

2lisa2 PetForums VIP

Aww she's lovely :) thanks will be vetting through here when I find one lol

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice