Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

BSH Longhair Variants

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Dozymoo, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

In one of my various searches on the internet I came across the BSH variant, a long haired version of the BSH. Obviously the longhair variant is going to pop up now and again, particularly due the history of Persians in BSH breeding programmes. These variants really are very pretty cats and I know a number of members on this forum own a couple. :):)

After a bit more digging, I have found that they are in the process of being developed as a breed in their own right. In the states they are being referred to as Lowlanders and in Europe the breed is being referred to as Britania. Other groups are calling them British Longhair cats, and they are aiming for recognition by the major governing bodies, such as the GCCF.

I really do think they are lovely but looking at them, but personally I can’t see any difference between them and Doll Faced Persians. Is there anyone on here who knows more about them? :confused: I’d be very interested to know.

Thanks xx

British Longhair Cat

2. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

Having never had one I dont know much about them,other than they being a longhaired version of the shorthair. I would imagine they would be very usefull to a longhaired Selkirk Rex breeding program though.

3. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

They do look amazing, fantastic coats. That said, to my mind, you lose alot of the 'qualities' that make a british a british, if you know what I mean. Its the same with oriental longhairs and balinese for me. Lovely cats in their own right, but the lovely wedge heads and long sleek bodies, that make them distinct are lost under hair.

4. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

Well we got our BSH Longhair Variant a week today (who has had his first accident but thats another thread:rolleyes:)

We originally went to look at the british short hairs, but we saw him and fell in love with him instead :D

It is quite hard to tell that hes a BSH because of all his fur :) but his face is definetly BSH, its not as flat as a persians, its just hard to look past all the fur lol, we got his breeding certificate, and through the line are some BSH Longhair Variants, I to have been looking into the breed and found that there recognised as a breed and can be shown in certain countries. Heres a pic of Hank, and as ive said, it is quite hard to tell because of all the fluff :D

h1.jpg

5. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

Hes certainly a cutie:)

Where abouts in staffs are you:)

6. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

He does look liek a doll face persian or a tiff! He is stunning, BSH varients arent crosses though, where did you get him from? what was he advertised as? His stunning anyway I would have taken him! lol! :D

I posted about them the other day, looking at the pics I dont think that I like them?! :confused:

Thats a good ides with those long coats in a tight curl! I like la perms though, selkirks are a close 2nd! :)

7. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

Hednesford, Cannock :)

8. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

No way! Iam in Huntington, cannock lol:)

9. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

Are his parents both pedigree British Shorthairs?

10. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

He wasnt advertised, the breeders webpage had british short hair kittens advertised and thats what we went to see, but when we got there my other half wasnt impressed with the british short hairs, there was nothing wrong with them, they were lovely, but my other half thought that they looked like moggies cause of their short coat :rolleyes:hes always preffered long coats :D
    I think that the breeder realised that we werent intrested in the british short hairs and it was then that she mention that she had a british short hair that had a long coat, it was the first time that we had ever seen one, he had already been viewed by a lady, and she was due to come back but she didnt leave a deposit and we did, so we got him:D

11. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

Yep, it was some of the generations down the line that were BLH, but ive read that some pedigree BSH carry the long hair gene, sometimes it just skips a couple of generations :)

12. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

lol its a small world we live in :D

13. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

The longhair gene is recessive so it can be carried silently through generations. Never knew it existed in the British though :cool: How did that come about then ?

14. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

"During World War I many breeds of cat were almost decimated. The British Shorthair was one such breed. After the war breeders attempted to re-establish the breed. As numbers were low, British Shorthairs were sometimes mated to Persian cats. The GCCF objected to the use of Persian cats & the offspring were not permitted to be shown or registered as British Shorthairs. The offspring were mated back to British Shorthairs & after three generations they were permitted to be registered as British Shorthairs.In the 1930's, Kit Wilson became involved with the breed. After World War II very few British Shorthairs survived. Breeders turned to unregistered domestics, Russian Blue's & Chartreaux to help restore the breed. The offspring off these matings didn't match the British Shorthair type so once again Persians were used to try & re-create the look of the British type"

Here you go:)

Dozymoo and Saikou like this.
  15. Elise.x

Elise.x PetForums Junior

To be honest, idont really understand it all :D we just wanted a cute looking pet:D

But this website is the best info that ive found on them

Catbreeds - British longhair - Catplaza

16. Saikou

Saikou PetForums VIP

:thumbup1: thanks Jen. Is the long hair gene quite prevalent then, or just happens now and again ?

17. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Ahhhh! lol I like both long & short hairs myself, I did hear of a robbery last year & they stole all the norwegian forests....and left the BSH as they didnt realise what they were!

oh blimey he does look just like them! forget what I said in the Pm lol! :D
    They are really cute, they do remind me of doll faced persians, I love their eyes! :D

18. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

As far as I know they just crop up now and again when 2 cats carrying the longhair gene are mated together. Unless someone deliberatly wanted longhair kittens anyway. To be honest Ive never had much of an interest in them, Iam not a fan , I know of people using them for the Selkirks but not for BSH breeding, they would be on the reference reg anyway.

I certainly would not want to breed any longhairs deliberatly.

19. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

He really is a little stunner! They are lovely cats.

That's what I thought. From the photos I have looked at I honestly can't tell the difference between the British longhair and Doll Faced Persians, they're both as lovely as each other. Does anyone know if there is a fandamental difference? Or are they basically the same?

I now see that the British Longhair is a recognised breed by TICA. It doesn't look like it is recognised by the GCCF though (although I could be wrong).

Also, I'm confused as to why they are being bred under the breed names of Lowlander and Britania if they are already recognised by a governing body like TICA as the British Longhair. Isn't that a bit pointless? Or have i got the wrong end of the stick? :):) Hmm, cats are confusing! :confused:

xx

20. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

That I have to agree with. xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice