Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

BSH grooming/trim caused damage to the coat?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Mumus, Mar 30, 2017.

?

Best complete food for a British short hair

1. Lily's kitchen

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Orijin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Acana

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mumus

Mumus PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone,

I have just adopted a 17-month-old British short hair. Her coat is quite rough on her back. Her previous owner told me she took her to the groomers a few months ago and she never took her for a groom/trim again because her coat has darkened. She used to be much more cream than she is now. Do you think the shave could have caused the hair to harden? Is there anything I can do to bring back her velvety coat?
    She has unfortunately been on a Whiskas diet, but I am slowly transitioning her onto more complete foods. Could the food help with improving her coat?

Many thanks for your thoughts.

Angie

Attached Files:

2. Elaine b37

Elaine b37 PetForums Senior

Cody is a BSH and his fur is like angora, soft and silky smooth, I try very hard to make sure he eats the best possible wet food (dry is just for treats) however he also loves being groomed and he is brushed several times a day with a zoom groom, he actually demands this as soon as I walk in the door, I then usually discover that he has managed to persuade my son to brush him as well!

He is moulting at the moment and we are surrounded by a cloud of fluff, I throw it out of the window for the birds to carry off to line their nests! I am not sure which if any it is that keeps his coat so lovely but you could try both better quality food and a nice bonding grooming session!

3. Mumus

Mumus PetForums Newbie

Thank you for replying. May I ask what you feed Cody? We are testing out a few different options at the moment. She isn't keen on anything other than chicken flavours and loves Lily's pate and applaws (tins and pouches) and country hunter. All quite expensive and I also want her to eat some dry, so trying out the Orijin as well.
    My only issue since giving her the orijin is that her poop started really smelling out the flat! I wonder if it doesnt agree with her or maybe it's just what happens with dry food?

Angie

4. Bilai

Bilai PetForums Senior

Like @Elaine b37 we have a BSH and his fur is very soft. We feed him Thrive Complete & Canagan as of recently.

I didn't know that going to the groomers could cause a cat's fur to darken! I feel like maybe it would have darkened anyway?

Either way, I definitely think grooming helps with the softness of the fur. We only groom Milo a couple of times a week but I think it makes a difference!

5. Mumus

Mumus PetForums Newbie

Thanks very much!

6. Mumus

Mumus PetForums Newbie

I believe the previous owner had her shaved - I'm assuming that's what has caused it.

7. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

if you insist on feeding dry, thrive is one of the lowest carb versions available - otherwise look for a complete wet food with no sugar and low carb - I created a list of food you can buy on zooplus which meets those criteria, you can find it on the below thread.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

good food doesn't need to cost the earth - I feed ours a very good diet for no more than 34p per meal per cat. You also have to remember that it will take a while for any changes in diet to affect the hair and skin - I would be thinking weeks rather than days.

Mumus likes this.
  8. Elaine b37

Cody currently has Canagan and Granatapet (from zooplus or happykitty - the canagan is from our local independent pet food shop) for his main meals and as a treat he has applaws with pumpkin, he is a bit of a fussy boy to feed, you will see my tales of woe and despair in various threads here about cats who eat something one meal and then look at you with horror the next!) In his maze he has a very small amount of thrive dry. In addition to this he has poached chicken now and again and sardines and mackerals in spring water from waitrose - he is one very spoilt cat! I also occasionally give him a raw egg yolk as I have read that it helps with fur balls which he has never had so far (he is only two)

I couldn't imagine needing to take him to the groomers though, and I am confused as to why your girl's previous owner had her shaved as their coat is dense but short, unless she got something stuck in it I guess

Mumus likes this.
  9. Cazzer

Cazzer PetForums VIP

She is a gorgeous colourpoint and that's why her coat darkened when shaved. It is quite normal especially in the darker pointed cats such as seal and blue. The usual points are in the coldest parts ears, tails etc so when she was shaved this had the same effect. My own seal points never had fur that became harder after a shave. I would have thought that *might* be down to what she was fed. Such a shame that her coat was shaved as they do look more impressive when their coats are cream, unless of course there was a reason for it

Mumus likes this.
  10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

As others have said, rough, harsh fur is usually caused by poor diet, unless there is a health issue. (but I am assuming the vet has ruled out a health issue?) Where there is dry rough fur there is also often dry skin too.

I would feed a good quality wet food and as little dry food as possible. She needs to have fluids in her foods, and on dry food is unlikely to be drinking enough water to keep herself hydrated. Dry food is a convenience for cat owners but does nothing useful for the cat's teeth (contrary to what manufacturers of dry food tell us) and it is not good for the cat's bladder and kidneys.

Elaine (above) had mentioned quality wet foods from The Happy Kitty Co and Zooplus, which I agree with.

Adding omega 3 to her food will improve her fur and skin a lot. I use krill oil which I buy from amazon in capsules for humans, or you can use salmon oil for pets if she doesn't mind the strong fishy taste.

I've found that adding an omega 3 supplement brings about quicker improvement in coat condition than feeding oily fish. But once the coat has improved you could maintain the good condition with oily fish twice a week, e.g. sardine or mackerel in spring water.

As Erenya said, I'd go for Thrive Premium Plus dry if you feel the need to feed any dry. It is lowest in carbs of all the dry foods, though still much higher in carbs than any wet food. (cats do not need carbs.

Mumus likes this.
  11. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I don't feed any of those foods and avoid dry food. Wet food and raw is our preferred choice.

There was a great thread recently on complete high protein wet food on the health thread.

Mumus likes this.
  12. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Why on earth did she need shaving? Bizarre.

Also, is she neutered? The second picture has me wondering.

chillminx likes this.
  13. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

You're right @Oriental Slave, the second photo does look like the position females adopt when they are calling.

14. Mumus

Mumus PetForums Newbie

Hi there, yes she has been neutered. The lady who owned her wanted to give her a new look...very bizzare...
    Makes me think that this is why she has rough hair or maybe the whiskas diet ...

15. Mumus

Mumus PetForums Newbie

Thank you very much to you all for replying! Super helpful.

#15 Mumus, Apr 1, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
    chillminx likes this.
  16. Elaine b37

a 'new look' for a BSH certainly seems a strange idea, I wonder if the real reason was she was trying to prevent the copious amount of fluff they shed? I vacuum enough fluff nearly every day to knit another cat!

I think with good food, regular grooming and letting her coat grow to the correct length you will see a good improvement to the texture in the coming months

Mumus likes this.
  17. Mumus

Mumus PetForums Newbie

It's such a shame! And that's exactly what I thought - shedding! She is definitely not as velvety as I know BSH's to be. Fingers crossed the diet and some zoom groom action will improve it!

18. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Time as well, to let her coat grow back completely.

Mumus likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice