Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

BSH Breeder in South East

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Dinidu Ellepola, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Dinidu Ellepola

Dinidu Ellepola PetForums Newbie

Just over a year ago me and my girlfriend purchased a beautiful British Short hair from XXXXXXXXX. We did our research on our beautiful boy Eli, he came vaccinated with insurance and was GCCF registered, with all the relevant pedigree certificates. However just before his first birthday he was diagnosed with Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP) and died shortly a month after. He was an indoor cat and had never come into contact with any other cat, the vet was under the impression he had contracted the disease from his mother. We contacted the Breeder who denied any culpability. Loosing Eli devastated my girlfriend. We are getting married at the end of this year and I wanted to get her a new BSH as a wedding surprise, I was thinking to get two brothers this time instead of one so they are not alone. But after all the heartbreak we went through with Eli I want to avoid any potential risks. I live in London but am happy to drive to a good breeder within 100miles each way. If anyone could please recommend a reputable breeder for British Short Hairs, I would be extremely grateful,in addition to any advice on having one of them as opposed to two.

Attached Files:

#1 Dinidu Ellepola, Mar 5, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2017
  2. LostSoul

LostSoul PetForums VIP

I'm sorry i can't help with the breeder information but i also lost my boy to FIP, he wasn't a pedigree, he was a beautiful moggy, he also didn't go outside or come into contact with other cats except for my others ( who never got sick) but i lost him at 23 months old after having him since he was 12 weeks old, so i know how hard FIP hits, i also know how it can break you, i'm sorry you lost Eli... i wish you luck finding your new babies, please make sure it is a reputable breeder, there are so many byb's out there.

3. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

I'm so very, very sorry that you lose Eli :( it's a very cruel disease

There's one BSH breeder I hope to have a kitten off at some point in the future, she's really fantastic but probably about 3.5 hrs from you (car) might be quicker by train .... so not sure if that's too far?

4. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

I had one from Satinmist, lived until 15, lovely cat. The other one came from Windjammer, he'll be 16 soon, never seen a vet. Both in the South East, not sure if they still breed though!

5. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

There is a good breeder in Hinckley. Jill Martin. Been breeding British for 30 years. Doesn't have a web site but if you google her name her details come up.
    Had my last kitten from her, after I had one that died suddenly from HCM so I can understand your concerns.

6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I have edited the thread so the breeder's name isn't viewable, as the breeder is not here to defend themselves.

OrientalSlave and SusieRainbow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice