Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Bruising on my mum

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rona, Jul 1, 2010.

1. rona

rona Guest

I know that old people bruise very easily but does anyone know if it's a sign of some kind of deficiency or illness?
    My mother is in her 90s and when I visited her this morning she had about 12 bruises, mainly on her arms but also a small one on her face. She thinks she knows how several were caused but not all of them. ( mainly from gardening :rolleyes:)
    Just to put your minds at rest, she definitely isn't being abused, if she were, she certainly wouldn't stay quiet about it ;)

2. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

Did you ask them about it where she is ??

What about a quick call to NHS direct xx

3. rona

rona Guest

She lives independently in her own bungalow with alarm systems :)
    I'm going to ring my younger sister later to have a chat about it.
    Just wondered if anyone here knew. It's no big deal, she's still tearing around like a 70 year old :D

4. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

I think, if she can tell you about how they happened, then its not too much to worry about....but, saying that, if you are concerned, then it might be worth speaking to her GP just to make sure.

5. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

My gran comes up in bruises like this. Is she on aspirin or something similar? That could be a cause.

My nan is also diabetic and I think this has something to do with it also.

6. PurpleCrow

PurpleCrow PetForums VIP

Take her to her GP if you are really worried :)

Is she on any blood thinning medication? If she is, that can cause you to bruise really easily. My Grandma has paper thin skin and thin blood, you can poke her gently and she will bruise :scared:

7. rona

rona Guest

No just Athenol for her angina, but she's been on that for a long time now

8. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

1 person likes this.
  9. rona

rona Guest

Yes thankyou. :)
    She has regular blood tests because she has to have vitamin B12 injections

10. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Is she seen by the district nurses at all rona? Reason being sometimes it's easier to ring them and just chat to someone as you can't do that with a gp. They will be able to give you some ideas on what it could be or at least arrange a dr appontment.

I use them all the time for my clients if something concerns me but isn't urgent iyswim.

Yes it could just be she's got delicate skin-I've one client who bruises like a peace even putting socks on can bruise him! Xx

1 person likes this.
  11. tosca

tosca PetForums Member

You only have to look at my Mum and she bruises. The last time she went into hospital she came out with both arms black, and that was just from having blood taken and things like that. At home she tends to get bruises from my sister's lab, who is actually very gentle, and our pup who can be a bit excitable. Try not to worry too much, it looks worse than it is. Dad was the same.

12. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

Diabetics can bruise easily and yes, I think elderly do bruise more easily.

13. rona

rona Guest

No she's far too healthy to have someone call regularly.
    Will just make my other sisters aware of it, so that we can all keep an eye on her.
    She was tested for diabetes not long ago

14. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

My gran was 99 years old and died a month before her 100 birthday and I can remember her having bruises all over the place, she was like your mum Rona wants to do everything herself and dont like to have help, she used to bump her arm (softly) and she would come up in a massive bruise, I think it is due to her age as their skin is so delicate now and thin. I love your mum she is soooo cute. I want to cuddle her up. xxxxxxxxxx

15. Tanya1989

Tanya1989 PetForums VIP

My grandmas skin was like tissue paper and she constantly had bruises. There are a couple of disorders that also cause bruising, so I'd definitely recommend a trip to the GP, but after hearing about your mums daily antics, I think I'd be covered in bruises too ;)

Hope you find an answer soon :)

16. rona

rona Guest

But you'd bruise her :lol:

17. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

I got loads of bubble wrap and cotton wool, and I would be very gentle ;):thumbup:

18. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Its really common in old people, even with someone as amazing as your mum at 90 Rona:) its to do with collagen and the weakening of the capillaries (sp)

1 person likes this.
  19. rona

rona Guest

Probably more common with little devils like her ;) ;)

20. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Isnt it wonderfull though to get that age and still have some character?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice