Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Brought a pit home to the family

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by chexmix, May 14, 2010.

1. chexmix

chexmix PetForums Newbie

Just got a 1 year 8 month pit bull from the humane society named Capone. We already had a 8-9 month old pup that is most likely a German pincher or a mix with German pincher named Dag. Capone is 60 pounds and Dag is around 45 pounds. At the humane society they both got along. When I brought them home all they do is play fight, some light biting and jumping, and a few barks and growling from both.

I'm sure everything is O.K. but is it normal for the play fighting to last all day? I don't want it to escalate.

2. borderer

borderer Guest

hope you enjoy your new dog:thumbup:;)

3. staceydawlz

staceydawlz PetForums VIP

hey! first of all id love to see some picks...LOVE pits!! when i took my boy home there were alot of play fighting which escilated to a few minor fights but now they r the bestst of mates so dont worry xxx....PICS!!!:thumbup:

4. Maistaff

Maistaff PetForums Senior

The very best of luck with your new dog.

Pit Bulls can be the most amazing dogs in the correct hands, loving and loyal. The play fighting of the bull breeds can be and is normallly a lot more rough, they key is knowing when to put an end to it.

Would love to see some new photo's of your new addition

5. chexmix

chexmix PetForums Newbie

I will get some pic's up soon. Capone is camera shy, its like he knows i'm about to take his picture and goes to the other room.

On the play fighting, it makes me feel better that the smaller dog usually starts it. If Capone starts it, there is usually a bone involved. We have two bones and i put both of them up when the fighting starts of them.

6. Maistaff

Maistaff PetForums Senior

Hey there

i would advise that you take thebones away. The dogs are still finding their feet and it might be best that all food sources are taken away to prevent any fights etc that could escalate

7. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

Its not that its abnormal but certainly not advisable. You have two great, rough playing breeds there who's arousal levels rise quickly. Allow them to play as a reward for good behaviour such as attention on you. Interrupt playing every few seconds for a quick obedience break or a calm down break.
    Work with each dog on its own too so it learns to focus on YOU and not just on eachother.

The more hard play they engage in the more they will want to play like this and the more difficult it will be to stop them.

Its also important for adolescents to play with other adult dogs so that they learn good play habits. Teenage play is not always acceptable to other dogs so they need to be taught how to be polite.

8. leashedForLife

second that! :thumbup: good summary...

ALSO second the lift all bones, highly-valued toys, etc until U *know* how they behave with a potential rival.
    if the rez-dog is crazy over balls, Do NOT leave a dozen balls of varied sizes lying-about as possible contention - its a setup for disaster.

crates are better for high-value items like bones, or at the very least, a baby-gate between the two dogs, as insurance;
    watching how they react to one another thru the barrier can tip U off to possible conflict.

if both dogs will play fetch or at least, chase, a good running-game SOLO before turning them loose together, can help -
    they are a bit winded, some of the intensity is gone, they are ready to play but not explosively-charged. ;)
    jogging each dog, or bike-jogging or long-line exercise, are other possible safety-valves before mutual play.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice