Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Brooke greets her Crocus cohorts!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Shrike, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

"A warm but blustery day here in Nottingham. Slave actually ventured outside briefly to take my picture with the rising Crocus Army!"
    P1040483.JPG
    "Good afternoon, my lovely boys!"
    P1040484.JPG
    "Unusual to get you purple ones up so soon!"

P1040486.JPG
    P1040489.JPG
    P1040491.JPG

"Slave didn't replenish the bulbs last Autumn, so lets hope the ranks aren't too depleted this Spring!"
    P1040492.JPG

"Listen to that wind howl, Slave! Maybe Winter isn't quite over yet!"

huckybuck, Jonescat, ewelsh and 20 others like this.
  2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Love photos of you in your garden Brooke among the crocuses. Spring's on its way then though you wouldn't know it today with the cold wind.

vivien and Shrike like this.
  3. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

Oh Brooke, I'm so happy to see you - I love your photo stories, can't wait for Spring to properly spring and you can be out and about again :)

(As an aside, our crocus' are only pale purple and white, no yellow and Oscar almost certainly won't see them as they are only in the front lawn, not the back but they have popped and are "out" already)

4. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hello beautiful Brooke, definitely looking like spring for you:)

5. Trixie1

Trixie1 PetForums VIP

Gorgeous photos of Brooke out and about enjoying the sunshine, although a bit of gale still blowing!! Lovely to see the crocuses up, not long to go now Brooke until spring arrives!!

6. vivien

vivien PetForums VIP

Lovely photos of Brooke. Thank you for sharing them.

Viv xx

Shrike likes this.
  7. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

A chink of Spring . Lovely to see.

Shrike and Ali71 like this.
  8. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Ah, Brooke and the crocuses - a sure sign that spring is on the way :Cat

Jonescat, Shrike and ewelsh like this.
  9. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

She’s the prettiest girl :Happy spring is on its way!

Shrike likes this.
  10. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Wonderful, now I know Spring is coming, this is always a good sign when our beautiful Brooke is sat amongst the crocus. You are so pretty Brooke.
    Last year I only had a few yellow crocus, hardly any purples, there must be a reason for this, climate change or an old wives tale. Anyone know?

I’m not far for you @Shrike yet I have no crocus, only a few snow drops and a handful of daffodils, I planted millions of bulbs last year, determined to have a lawn full of crocus and not one has rewarded me yet, So looks like I have to wait another full year. :(

Shrike likes this.
  11. Shrike

@ewelsh - are you planting the bulbs deep enough? I think if they are too shallow the slugs eat them. Squirrels will dig them up too, though I think you'd notice that! It maybe your soil isn't right for the bulbs - if there is a decent nursery nearby I'm sure they could advise and give you bulbs that thrive in your locality. I tend to get mine from nurseries rather than big garden centres or supermarkets.

ewelsh likes this.
  12. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Ummmmm no squirrels in my garden thanks to my dogs :rolleyes: I do use one of those bulb spade things which pulls out a full plug so definitely deep enough. I am thinking the mice might have got my snow drop bulbs as we do have lots of mice here, or I have to have more patience and wait for the second year. As for the crocuses I have no idea what is going on, I planted 200 bulbs and as you know they aren’t exactly big! Even my aconite hasn’t shown up this year!
    I do tend to buy from smaller British nurseries too, it’s very odd.

I shall continue to admire your crocuses along with the beautiful Brooke and live in hope.:)

Shrike likes this.
  13. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

I planted out a load of snowdrops "in the green" last year - they were the 'giant' ones that grow to about 8-10 inches tall with much bigger flowers. So far nary a sign of them this year, but I do know that they often 'miss' a year - so am keeping fingers crossed for next year ! Still waiting for crocus and aconite to show themselves but they often come a bit later (March) in my garden.

ewelsh likes this.
  14. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

I love our regular pics of Brooke and the crocuses :) Winter must be over when they get posted :)

Shrike and ewelsh like this.
  15. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

You have Lots of Mice @ewelsh ??!!!!!:eek:. Is Lottie sleeping on the job? Loulou will have to step up to the mark then:D

The cemetery snowdrops have been in full bloom for ages now and the diffs are poking through. No sign of crocus or aconites. The aconites here tend to bloom later

16. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Lottie works flat out catching mice so earns her keep, however Loulou would invite them in doors as long as they didn’t touch her food. :rolleyes:

I know what the problem is, @Shrike has been pinching all my crocus, you watch in a few weeks time, his garden will be full to the edges with crocuses :D

SbanR and Shrike like this.
  17. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Aww lovely photos of Brooke in the garden!!

Are you in a micro climate where you are???

We are still very much in Winter mode - I don’t think I’ve spotted even a snowdrop yet!!!

18. Shrike

Its been quite a mild winter for us so far, barely a few smatterings of snow and only a few very cold mornings. It was down to -4 the other week - but that was warm compared to other areas of the country! Mind you it was occasionally very cold up to the end of March last year, so I'm not casting any clouts yet! :):)

Just a thought on peoples no-showing bulbs in the lawn, do you use weed 'n feed? I know thats a bit condescending of me but I was thinking about doing my lawn last year until I remembered the crocuses sleeping beneath! I supposeif you wait until all the crocus leaves have died off it might be safe to use if its the stuff that deactivates on soil contact.

ewelsh, Trixie1 and huckybuck like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice