Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Broody

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lunarlikes, May 11, 2010.

1. lunarlikes

lunarlikes PetForums Junior

Unfortunately myself and my daughter have eczema and asthma. I have always wanted a dog and grew up with a rough collie and had no problems. We have been to see a few different breeds and so far we've not had any luck with our allergies :(

The only thing that we seem not to be allergic to is collies. now we havent been to see any because they are too high energy mentally to fit into our lifestyle.

Does anyone know of some that do have lower energy as in border collies or collie crosses?
    I know it sounds so daft but I have been researching different breeds for 4 years now and it is so frustrating. I would just love to have a dog in the homw. Not just for selfish reasons but to give to another being.

I would rehome from honily but they have not had any in that are what we are looking for. We have spoken to them about our situation and they are very understanding and have offered allergy tests to any we see we like.

I dont want it to end up an upsetting experience for my daughter though. Any ideas??

2. Bearpaw

Bearpaw PetForums VIP

Hi,have you looked into any of the poodle crosses(goldendoodle,colliedoodle etc) as i know alot of people with allergies/excema find these breeds are ok.
    I have mildish allergies but do find after a short time i build up immunities to my own dogs and unless i get scratched/bitten etc im fine really.I have labs myself but do have to be careful with other peoples' dogs.
    Good luck in your search,i hope you find what youre looking for :)

3. cutekiaro1

cutekiaro1 PetForums VIP

do you know what it is that you are allergic to is it the hair. If you can find out or if you know it would exclude a lot of breeds and possibly leave you with ones that will be ok?

4. lunarlikes

lunarlikes PetForums Junior

We are allergic to the saliva and urine mainly. But short hairs prickle us and the protein goes just under the skin causing problems. We have been to see a few different breeds - bedlington terriers, chiuhuhua's, poodle, chinese crested, deerhounds-my favourite breed, and staffordshire terriers, and west highland terriers- not too bad with the eczema side with terriers its the asthma and rhinitus doh! so we think long haired and smooth coat without the dog being too licky.

5. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Ooh I sympathise. My OH is moderately allergic to dogs and I thought for years I wouldn't be able to have one. We've got two now - they're Collie/Poodle crosses and although their coats differ madly (they've got different amounts of Collie/Poodle in them) he's been more or less fine. Well, actually he IS fine; in the beginning, he'd get a bit sniffly if he'd been driving my car a lot and I hadn't hoovered it for a while (the dogs go in it most days) but he hasn't had so much as a sniffle for ages.

I've also heard people say that allergy symptoms lessen over time, which seems to have been the case with my OH.

That said, it is difficult because obviously the acid test is to have the dog in the home, and if it doesn't work out there's the headache/heartache of rehoming...

Beware of Labradoodle/Goldendoodle/Aardvarkdoodle adverts that describe them as "low shedding/good for allergy sufferers" - it ain't necessarily so.

My Collie/Poodle cross has silky Collie hair (as you can probably see in my avatar) but sheds relatively little.

Good luck in your search x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice