Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Broken Dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by AJ, Feb 23, 2008.

1. AJ

AJ Guest

My dog (Milo - Staffy Labrador Cross) managed to get a nasty injury while playing with an Akita in the woods this morning.

Looks like a stick has pierced through his upper hind leg leaving a 2cm-ish round hole about 4cm-ish deep, deep enough to see the muscle but not actually damaged it.

He didn't seem bothered by it but he's been to the vets and they want us to see what happens over the weekend and come back to get stitches on Monday if its not started to heal.

Problem is he now seems alot more bothered by it, very down and grumpy and the vets are closed until Monday morning. He's usually up and about, sniffing about the garden and wanting to play all the time.

We've got Hibi-Scrub and antibiotics but just wondered if anyone else had any ideas to keep him happy until Monday.

Should we take his normal walks, just a short walk or just let him rest?

Any advice would be appreciated. :)

2. Fade to Grey

Fade to Grey PetForums VIP

hey if you have anything like a bandage you could put that around it andone of those 'lamp shade' color things so he doesn't make it worse.

other than that its a good sign its bothering him means its starting to heal, like when we get a cut and its all itchy and irratating whilst it's healing.

3. AJ

AJ Guest

Thanks but I don't really mean in that way, its his mood, he's just not being himself, anyone got any good ideas to cheer him up, without straining the injury??

Its in a really crap position for bandaging. We are stopping him lick it though.

4. Fade to Grey

oh right umm, food?
    like a hyde bone thingy?
    it'll also distract him from licking it

5. AJ

AJ Guest

I need to borrow another dog then because he'll only eat a hide bone if its been started for him lol. He's not awkward honest!

6. Fade to Grey

aww one of ours is like that she doesn't eat them now but she used to eat sprinkles if he left them when he'd already made them soft lol

7. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I'd let him rest if thats what he wants to do, he probably feels a bit rough, he will be back to his normal self soon enough.

8. tashi

tashi PetForums VIP

Little bit surprised they are leaving it til monday to decide whether to stitch or not and I would lead walk him so he doesnt roll and get any dirt leading to infection in it

9. AJ

AJ Guest

Well they seem to think it will heal on its own, cant see it myself because of where it is.

Think I will take him out on the lead in the morning or he'll be even grumpier!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice