Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Broken bone?!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by slavetorobbie, May 18, 2010.

1. slavetorobbie

slavetorobbie PetForums Member

When I left this morning Robbie was his usual self. I came home 7 hours later and he was quiet and had hardly eaten but didn't think much of it, picked him up for a cuddle and he stayed on the sofa with me, dozing but not much else. I just put him on the floor and called him to his food and realised he is limping really badly. He used his litter tray but could not cover it up afterwards, and he is barely moving. I have given him some tuna as he did not want his food.

Obviously I am going to call the vet first thing. I feel so awful, I feel like I am to blame for this completely. He must have fallen off of something and hurt his leg and I am so upset, what can I do for him?

2. slavetorobbie

Does anyone have any advice? He had his first vaccinations on Saturday.

3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Will he let you have a look at his leg? He might have jumped somewhere and pulled a muscle. If he is is a lot of pain you might need to seek an emergency vet but certainly see your vet first thing in the morning

4. slavetorobbie

Yes he has let me look and there are no cuts or anything but when I gently squeezed the top of his leg he miaowed and bit me quite hard, but didn't when I did the same to his other leg. If I call an emergency vet that I am not registered at will they give me advice?

5. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

It's late at night so just keep him calm and happy til morning if you can, and don't let him out. It may be just a sprain or strain - you won't know til you see the vet. Unfortunately most human painkillers are toxic to cats so you can't do much for him tonight, just wait and see. Best wishes for the morning, I hope you get some sleep, it's so worrying when this happens!

6. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Oh poor little soul.
    Is there a chance that he could have been clipped by a car?
    I would get him to the vets first thing tomorrow.
    Cats have a way of hiding their pain from us. So try not to feel guilty.

Let us know how he is tomorrow.

7. slavetorobbie

No he is only 10 weeks old and doesn't go out. He was on the floor eating his tuna and tried to get on the sofa but couldn't manage it, so I picked him up and he's now asleep on me. The problem is, he usually sleeps in my bed but comes and goes to eat and use his tray etc, but if he can't get up then I definitely don't want him to jump down! So now not sure what to do. I am considering sleeping on the floor in the living room so I know he is safe, but a friend I spoke to on the phone told me that she thinks that's a ridiculous idea so not sure if I am overreacting. I feel awful that I didn't notice earlier, and I'm on my own without a car or anything :-(

8. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

Fingers crossed its just a sprain and not as serious as a break. Poor baby, they don't half know how to worry us though.

Hope the vets visit in the morning can allay your fears and get him better. :)

9. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

He will be fine til morning, I am sure. As a young house cat he's unlikely to have done anything serious to himself. I have had experience of a house cat which did manage to hurt herself seriously, so I can assure you it doesn't seem your lad has hurt himself that much, so the best you can do for him now is get some rest yourself and go the vet in the morning :)

PS: It's normal to worry LOADS especially with your first cat... and sometimes with later ones too! But the more chilled you are, the more it will help your cat til you get to the vet, I promise.

10. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I would be just the same. If it makes you feel better then make yourself as comfy as you can and sleep with him. That way you can keep an eye on him.
    Try not to feel guilty. It's just one of those things.
    He just might have bruised himself.
    The vet will soon put him right.
    They are such a worry and it always happens at night or a weekend!!

11. slavetorobbie

Thanks for your reassurances.
    I am going to stay up and watch him for a while just to make sure he seems ok, then see if he will settle in his bed on the floor and I will stay in the room with him, just in case.

I just feel bad because I spend a lot of time at home with him and he's never fallen or anything so he's given the run of most of the flat when I am out which I thought would be better for him but perhaps it would be better if he had had less freedom!

When I leave the room he cries out in a completely new way that I have never heard, which is making me think he must be in pain or just need comfort from me. And when I put him on the floor he kept trying to hide behind things, which I have seen an injured cat do before. Poor thing, I feel so sad for him and wish I could help more :-(

12. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Don't feel bad - you can never plan for accidents :) Care for him tonight as best you can, see a vet tomorrow, but also try not to let your worries go onto him. I know that makes no sense.... what I mean is get him chilled as poss but don't over fuss. If he wants to sleep in the other room, let him. If he wants to be with you, let him. And let that be til morning or you won't get any sleep yourself! :) They do pick up on it if you are worried so best you can do is NOT worry for now. Tall order? Nope, quite normal if dealing with animals and young children :)

13. slavetorobbie

Yep, you're right. I'm trying not to let him realise I am stressed as I know it might make him feel worse.
    Thank you.
    Fingers crossed he makes a good recovery overnight and it's just a little bump!
    Will update tomorrow :)

14. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Do you have a hot water bottle? I'm just wondering if perhaps putting one under a couple of towels might give him a bit of comfort. Plus I think when animals injure themselves they chill a little, so a bit extra warmth is probably a good idea anyway.

15. slavetorobbie

Thanks for that idea.
    I have put a warm microwave heat pad under a jumper of mine that he loves and he's all snuggled next to me on the sofa with it now.

16. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

You're welcome. I just hope the little mite will be OK.

This is one of my fears, and I'm still not sure if I should get a really tall cat tree for this reason. But then I am a little over cautious sometimes.

17. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Now get some sleep - both of you! and that's an order! :lol: vets in the morning! sweet and comfortable dreams :)

18. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

hiya hun!

your not having the best run of luck with robbie are you! Blimey!

How did the night go? any improvement?

Let us know how you get on at the vets, and dont give him anything to eat today before you go (just incase it is a break and he needs it fixing)

xxx

19. slavetorobbie

Well I went to sleep at around 3 with him, and woke up about 20 minutes ago (and have been trying to get through to the vets since!!)
    He is much better now, still limping slightly but he is in much better spirits, playing, almost running and climbing up onto me so I'm guessing it's not a break thank goodness!
    I don't know if he needs to go to the vet considering but I don't want to risk it really!

20. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

So glad he is a little better.
    The way we think now with our little brood is if you are worried, then take um to the vets.
    The vet will give him a good check over.
    I know it costs but it really puts your mind at ease. To me that's worth every penny.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice