Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Broken black cat claws

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by KittyLizanna, Jul 17, 2018.

1. KittyLizanna

KittyLizanna PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone! I need advice and urgently.
    4 days ago as I was coming back with my cat from our walk, he got barked at by a dog and ran home leaving me behind. Since that he never wanted to go for a walk which until now I thought was just because he got scared (he does that time to time).
    Today as he was still up for walking, I checked his paws and found that all 10 of his front and one of his back nails are broken and blackened from the damaged blood vessels inside them. His nail beds are not inflamed, but he has several other cuts on his paws around them.
    I think he must have ran home with his nails out.
    To be honest I want to jump out and take him to the vet right away, but I’m absolutely broke and unemployed at the moment. I just lost my dad and my job a week apart and have spent all my savings to his funeral.
    What could I do to give the best treatment to my cat at home?
    He is a 10 months old kitten and was the last present I got from my dad so I want to take care of him as much as possible but the vet appointment kicks off at £50 with everything else being added on it and I cannot afford that.
    I read cleaning and disinfecting the nails and giving him oral antibiotics is what the vet does in this case if not surgically removing it.
    Does anyone have experience with such issues? And also how to prevent it from happening again. How can I teach this silly boy not to use his nails when he runs?

Attached Files:

2. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

I can't help with treatment and it would probably be good to get him checked. But that damage can be caused by being hit by a car so I would do a thorough check of the rest of him.

chillminx and Treaclesmum like this.
  3. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome :)
    How has he been for the last 4 days since it happened? Is he limping, showing signs of pain? Eating/drinking? Any bleeding from his paws, or hotness/swelling?
    You can bathe his paws and toes with cooled boiled water with a dash of salt to fight infection, but the best course of action is to see a vet if at all possible.
    Going forward, I'd recommend keeping him in for a few more months, or perhaps consider cat proofing your garden to keep him safe.

leashedForLife likes this.
  4. KittyLizanna

Hi Arny, He definitely wasn’t hit by a car as he was running in front of me in a straight line home on the sidewalk. The problem is that I can’t take him for a check up despite how much I want to. At the moment I cannot even afford to pay the bills.
    He eats, drinks, uses the toilet and even plays. I’m worried about infections but besides that I don’t think he has anything going on

5. KittyLizanna

Hi! Thank you he has been eating, drinking and using the toilet as normal. As it’s hot he doesn’t eat as much as other times but that’s been always like that. There was no bleeding. I would have seen it on the carpet. He has been giving extra attention to his paws recently and that’s why I took a look at them in the first place. He is getting a bit more playful since the trauma but still sleeps awfully lot and is very careful with his paws. I think it’s a bit better as when I tried to look at his paw on the day, he refused to cooperate but today with a little force I could check his paws.

6. KittyLizanna

There’s no swelling and he is not hot luckily. The nails look horrific thought.

7. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Poor thing, are you sure he wasn’t hit by a car at another time, perhaps not during your walk but the next day perhaps? Or even before? That’s one of the major signs of a cat being involved in an RTA. You must show the vet as he could have internal injuries.

TriTri and chillminx like this.
  8. mrs phas

mrs phas my home, my sofa, my rules

if you are in UK then you can contact RSPCA, PDSA OR BLUE CROSS ( maybe even cats protection?) explain the situation and they may agree to see your cat for a reduced fee

TriTri, moggie14, Summercat and 2 others like this.
  9. KittyLizanna

We live in a flat and he only leaves the flat with me. He was interested in the outside so he learnt how to walk on lead and now I was just training him to go without the lead. Obviously I failed. He was running in front of me all along on the side walk and sat and waited for the green lamp before crossing so he was hit by no one. I had 200% of my senses to keep an eye on him as he ran like a lunatic from the barking dog. He is always running around with his nails out at home as we have carpet so that’s why I think he injured himself doing so. He had a bath 2 days before this happened and his nails looked perfect then. So luckily he was definitely not hit by a car.

chillminx, Treaclesmum and Arny like this.
  10. KittyLizanna

Oh! That’s great to know! Thank you! I give them a call tomorrow. The cats protection is fairly close so it would be great if they did

TriTri, Treaclesmum and Summercat like this.
  11. mrs phas

what breed of cat is he? i believe i remember, from my sisters cats, ( im the doggy one, shes the cat one) that orientals have their claws partially out all of the time, whereas other breeds can fully retract theirs

( sorry if im wrong cat people, dont shoot me :Kiss )

12. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

The claws on the back feet do not retract.

mrs phas, chillminx and moggie14 like this.
  13. KittyLizanna

He is mixed and adopted from cat’s protection. I know her mother is a half Marie coon (I might spelled it wrong) At first I thought he was just a regular tabby but everyone keeps telling me that his father must have been a Bengal breed due to my cat’s love towards water, wide use of language, activity and need of affection. He is more like a dog than a cat. I had cats before but they never been interested in tricks, walking let alone water.
    I’m more of a cat person but I love dogs as well and will definitely wants to have one but only once I have a garden and financially stable again.

14. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Fingers crossed he will be just fine. But please try and take him to the vet if you have any concerns about his health and well being, remember cats hide pain very well.

Summercat and chillminx like this.
  15. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Does your vet perhaps offer free nurse wellness check clinics?

16. KittyLizanna

I manager to get one of my friends friend who is a vet to look at him. He said that one of the nails is pretty damaged and will need to keep an eye on for the next month or so (the one on the pictures) but the rest will heal with salty water soaking. He has given us some antibiotics just in case mostly due to that most broken nail but said even if don’t give it to him he is unlikely to get infections. He will need to be looked after for a few weeks at least and need to keep an eye on his nails to make sure he doesn’t bites them any further. Thank you for all your help

lorilu likes this.
  17. KittyLizanna

Luckily he is an oddbox cat unlike my other ones and has been always easy to read of when he has a problem. I started soaking his leg as someone introduced here yesterday and by today his mood has become a lot better already and the colour of most of his nails are visibly better. The vet said they only looked so terrible because he didn’t tend them properly. My cat is odd and has always been terrible at cleaning himself. He is just not interested in grooming.

18. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

I'm glad he will be OK and the antibiotics should do him well x

19. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Once his claws are all healed up I would recommend you start trimming them. Since you say he has the habit of running with them out, keeping them trimmed will help prevent many types of injuries. Trim just the tips at first until you gain skill (unless you already know how to do it of course). In case you don't know, always avoid the quick of the nail, that's the living part and will hurt and bleed if cut..

#19 lorilu, Jul 18, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
    moggie14 likes this.
  20. mrs phas

as hes getting better, could i suggest you start lead and harness training him
    that way he can still come out with you, but will be safe at all times
    not just from traffic but from dogs that dont like cats, cats that dont like cats, people that dont like cats and so forth

jill3 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice