Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Broiler chicken.

Discussion in 'Poultry Chat' started by *Amber*, Jul 17, 2019.

1. *Amber*

*Amber* PetForums Senior

12D0BA50-7DA5-4225-AC1B-62003065ECF4.jpeg BE87D8AC-2BDB-4CF0-8D88-B9B3CE53A31D.jpeg 90F4AEB9-06B8-445B-B328-5CB31AB252F5.jpeg 6BB4BB88-BD83-4E97-A8A9-9FF7049B6983.jpeg 383BBDA6-9BED-426A-95C9-D744A13F8A8D.jpeg 12A73F2C-8AFA-47ED-A2D2-37EF6758929A.jpeg Hi everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has successfully kept a broiler rescue? I found a 6 week old girl on the 7th of July, somehow escaped the lorry on the way to slaughter. I’ve read they often don’t live long, as they’re prone to heart attacks, as their little immature hearts can’t deal with their weight. I have also been warned she’ll probably get to a few months old, and then go off her feet, as she’ll be too heavy. She’s loving the garden with my bunny, and eating grass and chasing flies. She’s the most friendly and docile hen I’ve ever had! She’s very sweet.

NaomiM likes this.
  2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Aww bless her!

I know nothing about them but as you won’t be overfeeding her she won’t experience bad weight issues?

Her life with you will also be stress free in comparison so even if her life is shorter than the norm it will be happier :)

Obviously, just keep an eye on her for any signs of difficulties.

Beth78 and *Amber* like this.
  3. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

I know Beth78 has recently rescued some hens perhaps she could help:)

*Amber* likes this.
  4. *Amber*

*Amber* PetForums Senior

Thank you, some people have said restrict her food, and some have advised not to, as she won’t get the nutrients she needs to keep her legs strong. To be honest, apart from the first evening after I found her on the road, she’s not really a big food eater, she mostly eats grass, she loves it! My fiancé said even if I don’t have her long, she is happy at the moment.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  5. *Amber*

*Amber* PetForums Senior

Thank you, I’d love to hear from someone else who’s got some! X

6. moonstone

moonstone PetForums Member

A friend rescued two broiler hens and was advised to cull them as they were so overweight that they would die shortly anyway but she kept them as by the she had fallen in love with them...she put them on a restricted diet and got their weight under control and so far they have been doing well so good luck with your girl i hoe she has a long life now she is safe with you.

*Amber* and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. Beth78

Beth78 PetForums VIP

How's you're girl doing ?

*Amber* likes this.
  8. *Amber*

*Amber* PetForums Senior

She’s still doing well thank you, I can hardly lift her anymore though, she’s so heavy! She still seems happy at the moment. She’s got a heat lamp that she likes sitting under at night, as it’s getting colder.

NaomiM likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice