Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

British Shorthairs

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Umm Kulthum, Sep 30, 2018.

?

Breeding British Shorthair Cats

1. Cat Breeding

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Registries

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Umm Kulthum

Umm Kulthum PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone!
    This is my first time breeding my British Shorthairs (both are pedigree and registered) and I just wanted to know if there is anything I should know before breeding British Shorthairs (ie. what I need to be prepared for, litter size, complications etc.)
    Thanks

2. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

You should have a good mentor to help with any problems - hopefully the breeder who sold you an ACTIVE registered girl will be doing that for you.
    Do you have both a female and a male? It isn't usual to start out with both.
    You need to be aware of their blood types as mating certain types can cause problems with nursing kittens.

Tigermoon and SusieRainbow like this.
  3. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Your cats should be tested for PKD and, if any cats in their pedigrees come from Australia or New Zealand, ALPS as well.

4. Umm Kulthum

They are tested for PKD and their blood type. They came back negative for PKD and ALPS, and they are blood type A. I only have a female and the stud is my friend's who is also a registered kitty and tested negative for PKD, herpes, blood type etc.

5. Umm Kulthum

Just if anyone was wondering I have two females not male and female.

6. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Not health related but it would be very worthwhile, prior to mating, to look at the cats' pedigrees in conjunction with the Registration Policy. The BSH policy can be quite complex and restrictive in certain areas (for good reason) and you might not believe how many people discover they have XSH kittens or reference register kittens because they weren't familiar with the registration policy.

Edited to add... that is if you are in the UK and the cats are GCCF registered of course

7. Umm Kulthum

Okay...I will. Thank you for the advice!

8. Umm Kulthum

Does anyone know what the average litter size for BSH cats are. Iv'e googled it a few times but the results are not very helpful. Thanks

Pinto likes this.
  9. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave PetForums VIP

Averages are just that, averages. I've known a BSH have 8 kittens, and some litters are 1 or 2. You get what you get.

10. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Perhaps best to neuter them, spend a few years learning, attending shows, networking with other breeders, being mentored and then look into breeding.

Rufus15 likes this.
  11. Margaux

Margaux PetForums Newbie

Not a breeder but my BSH was a solo kitten. She was the third "litter" of solo kittens and I believe Mum was retired afterwards. Probably for the best as she tended to get bored of her kittens and sit up high out of their reach after 5 or 6 weeks. An older retired queen had to step in and carry out mum duties while the breeder dealt with feeding.

I spoke to the breeders for hours when I visited and she said that despite her decades of breeding it was hard to predict if a queen was good for breeding. She'd had plenty of successes but also some set backs including a queen from a long line of breeding stock who had needed a c-section for her first litter. I don't think a c-section prevents subsequent pregnancies but that particular breeder decided that she didn't want the cats going through surgery for the sake of breeding.

12. davea

davea PetForums Newbie

I can offer a different perspective, that of a customer. I've recently bought a BSH and researched for a breeder and found a mixed bag, some issues that put me off

Demands for deposits before seeing the kitten
    Not being able to see the parent cats
    Kittens isolated away not handled
    Poorly worded adverts with not much detail

Amongst other things

I eventually bought from someone who wasn't pushy, had info available via website/Facebook etc and the kittens were in a family being handled daily

I spoke to various breeders who made the process all about them. Forgetting this is a very emotional process

13. David C

David C PetForums Member

What is the blood group of the stud cat your friend has?
    As for litter sizes usually 3 or 4 but some queens more so older queens can have larger litters up to 8.
    Be prepared to keep hold of the kittens, boys don't always sell as quick as girls and you could end up having them till they are about 6 months old, especially if you have any black boys in the litter.
    Think about cost as well. Make sure you have £approx £900 to one side just incase of c section, then there is the cost of good quality food for mum and kittens, the cost of a full course of inoculations for each kitten and also the cost of registering each kitten ,

14. Umm Kulthum

He's A and my queen is 2 years old. Thank you for the info:)

15. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I don't know if I've got the wrong end of the stick on this question, but just asking this feels to me like you are doing it for the money.

I'm sorry if that's not the case. But if you look at some of the breeders (who've been doing it for years) stories on this site which show the heartbreak that breeding can bring, you'd realise it's very difficult to do it for the money.

16. OrientalSlave

Registered active?

17. Umm Kulthum

MilleD,
    No I am not doing it for money. I have actually been wanting to breed my BSH for quite a few years now, and am prepared for the heartbreak that can come with breeding cats. I have had them all tested for STDs, PKD, FeLV, FLV, and ALPS, and they all came back negative. We tested their blood type and they were blood type A. (Both my friend's cat and my cat)We entered them in shows, and they won Best Cat a few times. We plan to have them have 1 or two litters in one year and then give them an off year. We love our cats very much and I would never breed them just for money. I did not ask about the litter size because I wanted to see how many kittens I could sell, but to be prepared for the amount of kittens my cat would have. I know that I will not gain that much money and that I would most likely spend all the money I earn breeding them.

#17 Umm Kulthum, Oct 17, 2018 at 8:35 AM
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018 at 8:50 AM
  18. Umm Kulthum

Yes. Registered and active champion

19. Umm Kulthum

The kittens will be handled daily from the time in which they are 3 weeks old. Since I was once a customer of my cat, I can totally understand that they would want to see the parents. I agree that the breeder shouldn't demand a deposit before seeing the kitten. If the buyer didn't like the kitten, than he shouldn't be made to buy it (or pay for it). Thanks for the info :)

20. OrientalSlave

You don't have to wait that long to start handling them. Some people handle from birth, I handle from about 5 days when eyes are opening and ears starting to stand up.

QOTN likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice