Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

British Shorthair Suddenly Fussy

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Kerby, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Kerby

Kerby PetForums Newbie

Our 3 year old British Shorthair boy has suddenly became a complete nightmare with food.

He’s always had raw by Nature’s Instinct with the occasional premium food like Lily’s Kitchen or Natures Menu. About 3 weeks ago he went off Nature’s Instinct and kept leaving most of it. Since then I’ve tried more Natures Menu, Natures Menu Premium, Lily’s, Applaws.

One day I’ll put down let’s say a 100g Applaws Chicken, he’ll scoff! Maybe eat another. Then the next day he’ll sniff the exact same food and refuse to eat it. The problem is if he doesn’t eat his own food he then goes on the scrounge including leftover Chicken Tikka or tonight roast potato!

It’s driving me nuts as I’m spending a fortune on food but can’t seem to find something that’s good for him and that he’ll eat consistently.

Any advice as other than feeding him raw chicken (he always eats that) I’m confused to what I can do.

2. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

What does your vet say? Any sudden change in a cat's behaviour should involve a vet trip, as they are very good at hiding pain and illness until it becomes serious.

Summercat likes this.
  3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

A sudden fussy eater is often caused by nausea. So I agree with the suggestion of a vet visit if this continues.

However, cats do get bored with the same food day after day so try not feeding the same thing every day or even every meal.

It's also possible there was just something about that one particular batch of Nature's Instinct that was putting him off. Open a new batch (one with different batch numbers) and see if he's any different..

sandy-cat and chillminx like this.
  4. sandy-cat

sandy-cat PetForums Senior

I completely sympathise, Sandy is also quite a fussy cat and at times I've been despairing because he would not eat anything I offered him. As others have said it may be worth a vet visit or at least a nurse visit to get a weight reading and general health check.

The best advice I can offer is to provide a variety of flavours and textures each day. Shredded, chunks in gravy, chunks in jelly, pate - cats get bored easily so it's worth mixing it up as much as you can. Sandy went completely off pate a few months ago but in the last few days has decided he likes it again. No idea why - he's been health checked by the vet (weight, teeth, gums, etc etc) and is absolutely healthy. Perhaps try some alternatives like Thrive and Canagan which offer different textures?

5. Theresa kelly

Theresa kelly PetForums Member

My boy went off NI too....nothing wrong with him as he would eat raw mince etc

We spent weeks trying different raw but with no luck....in the end we tried a commercial food just because we wanted him to eat, he now eat butchers with raw as daily treats and to be honest his poos etc have never been so good

6. alixtaylor

alixtaylor PetForums VIP

7. Theresa kelly

Hi there...no mine only at the beef and chicken. Tbh i dont think he liked the bone content as he would spit them all over the floor when eating....i even spoke to NI when it first happened in case it was that particular batch but it kept happening. We then tried Nutriment and another one i cant recall but he didnt like it and would only pick at it or eat it because there was nothing else

8. Theresa kelly

Just read your post attached....thats awful and scarey!....interestingly my breeder says she has stopped feeding raw too but i didnt ask why!.....i take it raw mince from the supermarket is ok still?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice