Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

British Shorthair- smelly poos and always a dirty bum! Help!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Vicki Evans, May 13, 2017.

1. Vicki Evans

Vicki Evans PetForums Newbie

Hi, im new here but really need some help or advice. We have a 4 year old blue british shorthair boy. When we first got teddy he was on a raw food diet but after a while we switched to a more normal diet- weve tried everything from royal canin to hi life. Some foods he just wouldn't others he wolfs down but nearly all give him smelly poos and he ALWAYS has a dirty bum, whether its poo attached to his fur or just everywhere. We really don't know what to do and are beginning to think it could be something more serious?! Or are cats just like this? Thanks in advance x

2. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

Hello :)

You might find Teddy is just sensitive towards certain ingredients found in wet food. Raw food doesn't have anything like that in. I feed my Arthur pre made raw cat food and he loves it! I have also been trying him on some wet foods too to keep things varied for him. I go for high protein foods with no grains or vegetables in as cats don't need these. I've got my eye on Natures Menu and Forthglade, both can be found in Pets at Home. Hope you get the problem sorted soon!

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Vicki Evans and welcome :)

I promise you it is not normal for cats to have smelly loose poops and a dirty bottom. The cause is either diet, parasites in the gut, a bacterial infection in the bowel or a virus.

When Teddy first came to live with you were his stools normal? i.e. were they firm, formed into sausage shapes, and with not much odour to them? If so, then it would suggest that the current problem is due to diet and the food you are feeding him is not suiting him.

If he was OK on the raw diet, was there a reason why you took him off it?

It is not necessarily wet food in itself that's the problem, but rather certain ingredients in wet food such as maybe grains, or it could be a specific meat protein (or proteins) to which he is sensitive. The most common feline food allergens are beef, fish and chicken and those are probably the foods he gets most often. Supermarket foods often contain a lot of beef because it is cheap, and chicken is also found in a lot of cat foods.

If you are feeding him any dry food I would discontinue that as it is more likely to be the cause of smelly loose stools IME than the wet food.

Btw, has Teddy been wormed since you got him? If not I would treat him with Panacur.

4. Vicki Evans

Hi,

Thank you so much for getting back to me. What raw food do you use? Teddys poos are going from bad to worse, eer have another cat who is fine so it has to be an intolerance. I think a visit to the vet is in order! X

5. Vicki Evans

Hi,

Thanks for your message, yes teddys poos were perfect when he first came home and whilst on raw but he had a very infections and every vet we spoke to was SO against a raw diet that we stopped it but maybe that was our first mistake. Things are worse then ever on hi life so I think a trip to the vets is needed.

Yes he has been wormed, it is due but only just and this has been going on for months if not years x

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Two of my cats have very sensitive tummies and Hilife made them ill (vomiting and diarrhoea).

You mentioned that Teddy had a few bowel infections on a raw diet and that's why the vet wanted him taken off it. Were stool samples tested at the lab to ascertain what type of infections they were?

When were his stool samples last tested and results found to be normal? Bacteria, viruses and parasites should all be ruled out before trying a exclusion diet to identify food allergies or sensitivities.

#6 chillminx, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 18, 2017
  7. Smuge

Smuge PetForums VIP

Tali eats RC (persian) and cooked chicken mixed up with a little Felix 3 times per day. She doesn't have any problems with using the toilet.... but lets just say the litterbox doesnt smell of roses afterwards. That bit wouldn't worry too much

Having said that, re the raw? When she is older and settled I might switch to raw (this is what her parents etc eat) depending on price etc, but as kittens the breeder has them used to an owner friendly diet.

8. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Vicki Evans : You say he was on raw...was he OK on that? My Teddy cannot eat anything, and I mean anything at all...cat food, wet/dry/fish/chicken/ dry food...you name it, it gives him the runs. Even a tiny piece of ham. The only thing that doesn't is raw...fortunately he loves it. The tray used to be so vile, and as you say, he always had a huge pancake stuck to his bum. Poor guy, it must have been awful for him too as I was constantly trying to clean him up a bit. The only time he's had diarrhoea since he started the raw was after a dental when he was on metacam and the vet agreed it was often a side-effect.

moggie14 likes this.
  9. Vicki Evans

They weren't bowel infections, he has gingervitus and was unwell quite a lot (yes we bought a broken one alright!!!) He had other issues with pulling muscles etc and we thought maybe the raw wasnt giving him everything he needed vitamin wise. Touch wood he has been so healthy the last 2 years minus the poo issue. I just feel so awful as I have to chase him to.clean his bum. He was tested about q year ago and got the all clear. You are so helpful, thank you.

chillminx likes this.
  10. Vicki Evans

Hi he was ok on the raw just seemed to get unwell a lot but could have just been the kitten stage. Hes had no health issues since coming off it other than the poo issue. We go away in 2 weeks and im dreading leaving him for my parents to deal with, poor teddy x

11. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

What kind of raw were you feeding him as a kitten then? One of the ready made brands presumably?

12. Vicki Evans

Natural instinct, he would only really eat the vension so was getting no variation x

13. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I give mine plain raw mince and was advised by the suppliers to add a vitamin/mineral supplement which contains taurine.

Vicki Evans likes this.
  14. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Kittens are not usually ill a lot unless there is a health issue as such. It is usually a healthy time of life apart perhaps from teething. The gingivitis may have been associated with the teething. It sometimes is.

Perhaps the Natural Instinct diet was missing some of the vitamins and minerals needed for a growing kitten.

I see the Calcium content they give for the NI Venison is very low at only 1.4% but I am not sure whether that's total calcium (i.e. including the calcium in the bone) or just the calcium supplement they add to the mix. Pity they are not more clear about it to save misunderstandings.

Have you considered giving him your own raw recipe? Or even raw muscle meat such as lamb, beef or venison to which you add a total supplement such as Felini Complete?

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/cats/supplements_specialty_cat_food/vitamins/155860

Paddypaws likes this.
  15. Vicki Evans

I haven't and I know it sounds bad but with both working full time and a baby on the way I was hoping for the easy option ie finding the perfect all in one food for ted but maybe thats not possible and I want him to well more than anything. The lack of calcium could be to blame for a bad mysterious leg injury he got in the middle of the night that ended him up in cat a&e xx

16. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

@Vicki Evans): It might be an idea, to rule out certain conditions...but I must say with my Teddy (yours is Teddy, too?!) we tried all manner of 'sensitive' and costly diets from the vet but only the raw (recommended by a friend whose cat was the same) had any effect. if you worry it is lacking anything, you can always add it as a supplement.

#16 Calvine, May 19, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
  17. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

Making your own raw would be my suggestion....yes it is an extra chore but definitely a case of 'a stitch in time' if it stops him getting a dirty bot. Litter trays are also so much easier to keep clean with a raw fed cat.

Calvine likes this.
  18. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

You can say that again!

Paddypaws likes this.
  19. Vicki Evans

Hi, sorry for the late reply, the poo saga continues and I'm at whits end! What raw diet do you use? X

20. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Have you tried feeding him home cooked boiled chicken ? It is good for resting the bowel. Feed it until the stool firms up and then reintroduce other foods gradually.

If his bowel is no better on the home cooked chicken it suggests either he is intolerant of chicken or he has a bowel infection, virus or parasite. Though I am aware you said he was negative for all those when stool samples were tested. Btw were the samples taken from 3 separate days ? It is important because not all parasites or viruses are shed in the faeces every day. (if they are present I mean).

Can you recall exactly what infections he had as a kitten? You mentioned he had (or still has?) gingivitis, and that could be due to teething or it could be due to a virus such as Feline Calicivirus (FCV).

Paddypaws likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice