Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

British Shorthair Feeding

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Pani, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Pani

Pani PetForums Newbie

Hi. I am collecting my british blue in a week and it will be 8 weeks old at the time. What do you recommend to feed him in a day? Like times and portions.. Do i give him any milk? Sorry if i sounds clueless. All my life had dogs and this is my 1st cat. Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks.

2. HarleyBarley

HarleyBarley PetForums Junior

Feed him whatever his breeder is feeding, you will need to keep to same food and routine for a while otherwise he could get a runny tummy. Contact your breeder now so you can get whatever food it is they are feeding in for him coming

Pani likes this.
  3. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

I'm sorry to say but it doesn't sound like you're getting a pedigree British Shorthair, as he is leaving his mum too young. He should be with his mum and his litter mates until he is 12 (or 13 weeks if he's being neutered before rehoming). Have you seen papers saying that his parents are registered active? This means they are registered for breeding. If they are unsuitable for breeding they will be registered non - active. I have a BSH boy and he is registered non - active. Have you seen all the results of the health checks of both parents? This gives piece of mind that they aren't carrying any genetic diseases. Have a look at this thread for more information https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/pedigree-papers.454267/

Once kittens have been homed at a suitable age, they should be fed as much as they like over about 4 or 5 meals. For the first couple of weeks they should be fed food as they were weaned on to. However, this isn't always good food. Dry food isn't suitable for cats as they are designed to get all the moisture they need from their diet, impossible on a dry food diet. They do not have the thirst drive to drink enough water that their bodies need. Good wet food is those without grains, sugar or vegetables and raw food is an even better option still.

4. Pani

Pani PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone for all this usufull information. I will have to do a little research to confirm everything is well. The kitten doe's not have registration papers as the breeder id selling for a low price however, both parents have all pedigree papers and health books. The mother is white and the father is lilac. The kitten is blue.

5. Pani

Pani PetForums Newbie

This is Smokey..

Attached Files:

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Sigh... They are selling him at least 5 weeks early, at 8 weeks, unvaccinated, and probably not wormed etc. either. If the parents are registered I imagine it's 'not for breeding' so they have brought under false pretences. Or, they came from an equally unscrupulous breeder.

You shouldn't need to ask us for advice, the breeder should be happy to give it, and the kitten should - though probably won't - come with a care sheet and some of the food he is on.

I wonder how low the 'low price' is as well? Registration itself is a maximum of £23, but looking after a kitten for the 5 weeks from 8 to 13 weeks costs. They will be eating as much or more than an adult for quite a bit of that time, they will need appropriate amounts of litter, plus vaccination & worming.

IMHO there are a lot of very greedy prices around at present, for unregistered as well as registered kittens. Personally I think this is a very bad time to buy a pedigree kitten as the number of people wanting them while they are on furlough has pushed prices up.

7. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

I hope these are genuine.

The best thing you can do would be to ask the breeder to keep him with his mum and litter mates for another 4 weeks. Are you sure he'll even be weaned? Are you sure he's even 8 weeks old?

lorilu, chillminx and Summercat like this.
  8. Arny

Arny PetForums VIP

This info should be provided by the breeder.
    I got a care sheet outlining when they were wormed/flead and with what and what they were being fed and feeding times.
    They also came with enough food to last well over a week.

My own bsh came with registration, vaccinations etc (show champions throughout their pedigrees) yet were £500 each (would have been £595 if I hadn't had two).
    That was two years ago
    I've seen many unregistered, going at 8 weeks so unvaccinated priced at £800+!
    Its our job as 'buyers' to do the research and find a good breeder to the best of our ability otherwise these unreputable breeders will be allowed to continue.

Is the line/parents health tested at least? PKD in particular.

LeArthur and OrientalSlave like this.
  9. Pani

Pani PetForums Newbie

I appreciate everyone's concern and usufull advice however, i think this thread is going a bit off topic. My query was complete different to most of the advice i received. Thanks everyone..

10. OrientalSlave

You have had the advice you asked for which is to ask the breeder.

11. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Pani
    To be honest, if they say they are a breeder, I would guess they are an opportunistic one. Hence, I would not expect good advice from them for a kitten.
    Right now, lots of dodgy breeders are making a lot of money from overpriced dog and cat mixes and dubious breeds.
    Have you seen the kitten and parents? Or was only a photo sent? Did they ask for a deposit? There are many scammers out at the moment.

I would not offer him regular milk but he might like kitten milk. I would feed him as much as he wants to eat of good quality wet food. You can ask the breeder what they have been feeding him and slowly transition over to a better quality food, not too fast, as it may cause stomach upset but gradually.

For example, if they are feeding him Whiskas or Felix, wet food, move him to Animonda baby pate or Lily's Kitchen kitten.
    Zooplus has lots of good brands for cats, Feringa, Rosie's Farm and such.
    Here is a link, I don't think it has been updated with some newer foods but still good information:

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads...-just-the-good-stuff-work-in-progress.440844/

For a male cat I would be especially careful to feed only good quality wet food, as there may be health problems in the future from dry food.

12. OrientalSlave

The move should be gradual, once he has settled down. And with the better quality foods - Catz Finefoods, Feringa and some others - there is no need for a specific kitten food.

Summercat likes this.
  13. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Yes, I agree, I mentioned transition slowly/gradually.

Personally, I would keep him on kitten food in the beginning, as we are assuming he will be eight weeks and possibly younger.

edit: I know often it is recommended to feed good quality adult food vs kitten food.
    But the younger the kitten, I lean towards kitten food vs adult and I gradually add adult food in over time. Good quality kitten and good quality adult food.
    But that is my personal preference and I know others have different views.

#13 Summercat, Jun 20, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
  14. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

The problem I had with Ollie fussy eater, he stayed with the kitten varieties and steadfastly refused introduction to adult versions.
    He now refuses those brands completely so it resolved itself

15. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

In the long run I would make sure to feed him on a wet food which is good for helping him to process hairballs, as you will probably find this can be an issue with British Shorthairs due to their very thick coat and heavy shedding.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice