Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

British Shorthair Doesn't Have Chubby Cheeks & VERY SMALL - Normal?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by britishbritish, Jun 30, 2020.

1. britishbritish

britishbritish PetForums Newbie

My british shorthair is 3 months old.

Still very small and doesn't have the rounded face or chubby cheeks.

Will they develop? Is this normal?

IMG_3207.jpg IMG_3205.jpg IMG_3200.jpg IMG_3194.jpg IMG_3183.jpg IMG_3179.jpg IMG_3165.jpg

I'm obviously aware every cat will look different based on genes etc...

But just wanted to be sure as most other BSH cats are much bigger and have fuller face even before 3 months.

Any advice would be great. If normal, then thanks!

Attached Files:

cheekyscrip likes this.
  2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Is this kitten registered? Boy or girl? Are you sure of it's age? I'm also a bit concerned as it looks like it has some discharge from it's eyes.

3. britishbritish

The discharge I have been told can be quite common. I try to wipe it off and he also cleans it off. The kitten is a boy, I have documentation which states he is 3 months old as of now. Vet report came back perfect. Came from a GCCF breeder

4. OrientalSlave

5. britishbritish

I'm afraid I do not have that, no

6. OrientalSlave

Have they sent you a registration number for him? Will start '108' and be 7 digits long. I suspect cards are a problem at present due to COVID.

7. britishbritish

I'm going to assume the cat is not registered then. Nothing was ever said about registering the cat. They have simply informed me they are registered Breeders with GCCF and hold their own prefix.

8. OrientalSlave

If he is unregistered and they have their own prefix they have acted very badly. If a kitten is sold unregistered it should go with the paperwork for the new owner to register it.

Actually I wonder if they really are breeders with their own prefix or not, or are trying it on to inflate the price they are getting for a kitten.

9. britishbritish

I understand. I should have realised and done more research previously.
    At this stage, I just want to know if he looks OK and will mature into a BSH looking cat, or is something not right here.

10. MaineCoonCats0

MaineCoonCats0 She’s looking at you

He looks very small for 3 months. And if that breeder has a prefix ask for it as you can look at the list of breeders on the gccf website. This is what my British Shorthair kitten looks like (she’s 4 months now the photo was taken a few weeks ago)

Attached Files:

JD79, lorilu and Treaclesmum like this.
  11. Lucy2020

Lucy2020 PetForums Junior

My mixed-breed semi-feral kittens are 10 weeks old and honestly look bigger (and they're female)... Just personal anecdote though, I don't have much cat experience yet. Also, I'd be worried about the eye discharge, to be honest...

(Are all those photos from the same age?)

lorilu likes this.
  12. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

This kitten doesn't look any older than 2 months at the most, and as others have said it's best to get a vet to check it over. It looks very thin and even though eye discharges can be common in BSH, this kitten looks under the weather to me.

lorilu, jill3 and MaineCoonCats0 like this.
  13. MaineCoonCats0

MaineCoonCats0 She’s looking at you

What is his diet and what did the breeder feed him? Did his parents look like full British shorthairs?

14. lea247

lea247 PetForums VIP

@britishbritish - How much does your little one weigh? Here's what my BSH boy weighed throughout his first year.

IMG_20200630_184536.jpg

He's about 5kg now and even that is on the smaller side for BSH's I believe. His breeder said all his relatives weighed about that so it was expected. Did your boys parents have a round face? Did his siblings look a similar size?

Have you googled the prefix? Something should come up even if they don't have their own website.

I must say his eyes do look very weepy, even by what I've known with my boy. Usually eye discharge is a bit like the sleep we get in our eyes, around the eyes never looks wet. It would be best to contact a vet to have them take a look at him. Either in the flesh or through photos.

What is his name? I'm sure he'll grow up to be a handsome chap! :)

Calvine likes this.
  15. britishbritish

He is just over 3 months. I would of thought he'd be a touch bigger by now and feel fuller.

I just weighed him and he's 545 grams

His parents did look exactly like full british shorthairs. Maybe not AS CHUBBY or ROUND as others, so I can understand but certainly did have all the features.

I will get a vets appointment

lea247 likes this.
  16. OrientalSlave

I doubt he is 3 months. My Orientals are almost twice that at 3 months, and they are a finer built breed. I'm sorry but I think you've been scammed. Yes, vets appointment to check generally, and I imagine he should be wormed.

cheekyscrip, JD79, Tigermoon and 4 others like this.
  17. lea247

lea247 PetForums VIP

That's about half of what he should be, so something definitely isn't right.

Do you have solid proof that he's 3 months old?

18. Lucy2020

Lucy2020 PetForums Junior

He is lovely, and I'm sure you'll love him all the same regardless of his face shape etc, but it does sound like you have been deceived regarding his age and perhaps other things too. Hope the vet appointment goes well.

(Edit: Can cats have premature babies that are smaller and weigh less than they should, like humans?)

19. OrientalSlave

I don't think they have solid proof of anything beyond owning a very small kitten. :(

lorilu likes this.
  20. teddylion

teddylion PetForums Junior

Looking at the weight chart above (if I'm reading this correctly) lea247's kitten was over one kilo at only two months so he's much younger even than that, probably more like six weeks. Poor wee thing.

If it were me I would send an email asking for their registration number and let them squirm - because they almost certainly don't have one.

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice