Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

British shorthair - digestive problems

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Monique118, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Monique118

Monique118 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,
    After some advice. I brought my kitten from a registered breeder January 2020. She is now two years old.

When I got her back home in the January I was feeding her Royal Canin kitten biscuits which I kept down all day long and then fed her Felix Adult sachets at night. (This was what the breeder was feeding her, alongside raw mince meat and an Australian tinned raw food, which I did not do).
    I noticed that her stools were really loose directly after feeding her the wet food so I did a couple days on dry to see if it made any difference which it didn’t. As it got worse I took her to the vets and they checked her over, advised a bland diet and sent off her stool sample and was given probiotics. This didn’t clear it so after a few more weeks I took her back again, she was checked over and all was fine but another sample went off to be tested for some other things.

I was told by the vets that my kitten had both a Tritrichimaniasis parasite and corona virus.

She was given tablets to take for two weeks and a probiotic.

She got the all clear on the virus and her belly went back to normal. But after a little while of being ok, she was back to having blood and mucus in her poo. I kept her on the biscuits for sensitive bellies and slowly introduced the royal canin biscuits back into her food. Five months of dealing with this and we had to send another stool off to find out that the virus had returned.

this story goes on quite a bit…. So basically after some bad bouts of sickness and emergency vet trips we managed to get her under control with Royal Canin gastrointestinal biscuits.
    After nearly a year of her being on this diet I felt she was not getting enough nutrients from this. He has never build the usual British short hair muscle, she a very slim cat for her breed and nothing like her parents. So I was worried she wasn’t getting what she needed from her diet and so I wanted to put her on a ‘healthier’ more nutritious diet so moved her onto raw. We had no problems with tummy upset but she went right off it quite quickly and refused to eat it. I have since brought her two different types of grain free ‘natural’ biscuits for sensitive tummy’s which she also doesn’t want to eat, just sniffs at, might eat a couple and then tried to burry.

I want to know what I can feed my baby girl that is going to give her all the benefits of a ‘natural’ diet, but that won’t upset her tummy or that she will turn her nose up at.

we can’t give her Royal Canin British Shorthair biscuits which is what my boy has eaten the last three years because it upsets her tummy terribly, she gets blood and mucus in her stools if she has it.

Any advice is really appreciated.

At a bit of a loss. With all my intentions to get her the best food for her, I seem to be missing the mark.

Ideally don’t want to have to go back to the gastrointestinal royal Canin food but that is where we are heading as I need her to eat.

thank you all.

2. jasmine2

jasmine2 PetForums Member

Felix had a change of recipe and making cats ill, stop feeding Felix. Cats get upset tummy and vomiting.

3. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

What tablets was she given for the tritrichomonas?

4. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I don't think this cat has had Felix since before it changed

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice