Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

British shorthair colour mating

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Karley, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Karley

Karley PetForums Newbie

Hi Everyone!

I was just looking for some advice with breeding different colour British shorthair.

I have a beautiful golden tipped queen and I was wondering if anyone knew what colours I would get by mating her with a blue stud?

Many thanks in advance

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

It depends upon various factors. Does your girl mask spotted or ticked? Ditto the blue stud? Do either carry chocolate and does your girl carry dilute? Is she homozygous for agouti?

Assuming both parents are on the full register, under the GCCF BSH registration policy any self kittens from mating (if the queen carries self of course) would be reference register; tipped kittens would be supplementary.

3. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Is she pure for agouti and does she carry dilute? Does she carry any other colour?

4. Karley

Karley PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your reply. She does not carry dilute she is pure agouti. She carry’s silver tipped and golden tipped. Not to sure what the stud carries but he is a solid blue.

Both parents are on the full register.

I just wasn’t sure if it would be best to take her to a tipped stud.

Thanks in advance

5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Do you know if they are blood compatible ?

6. Karley

Karley PetForums Newbie

Yes I have checked they are blood compatible

7. gskinner123

Silver cannot be carried so you can take that out of the equation.

Assuming neither parent carries chocolate (ignoring cinnamon as that's highly unlikely for a tipped) or colourpointed, then all kittens would, based on genotype, be golden tipped.

That said, however, unless both parents are ticked based cats, you are going to lose a good deal of wide banding (the polygenes responsible at least in part for the colour tipping being on the ends of the hairs) and phenotypically the kittens will likely resemble brown spotted.

Unless you're planning the mating for a specific tipped breeding programme (for example, you want to improve upon certain characteristics by using a self) it is definitely not an ideal mating, bearing in mind also that goldens have green eyes and a blue self should have orange eyes.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  8. gskinner123

I forgot to add...with golden tipped breeding, one would usually try to select for parents of as rich gold colour as possible - this is polygenic and a result of selection for rufous polygenes. Using a self is likely to result in poorly coloured goldens.

9. Karley

Karley PetForums Newbie

Thank you all for your replies I think it will be safer to put her with a golden tipped stud. Thank you all for your help. Would it be ok to put her with a silver tipped stud?

gskinner123 likes this.
  10. gskinner123

Silver tipped is fine. The drawback is that he may not carry golden (the stud owner should know) but at least you will know all of your kittens will carry.

Having bred other colour BSH for a long time, I embarked four years ago on tipped breeding. Wanting to improve upon size, bone and coat I did choose to 'outcross' to self, knowing it would be a long road.

I am now on my third generation (of tipped x tipped) and it is only this year I could say that I have had a few kittens that are worthy of being shown, where we have finally, with the necessary little bit of luck thrown in, regained the proper eye colour...fortunately one of my two foundation girls is ticked based which has helped but we had many a heavily "spotted" kitten along the way.

Karley likes this.
  11. Karley

Karley PetForums Newbie

Thank you for your help I really appreciate it. It’s nice to hear stories from people rather than a guessing game

12. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Personally I wouldn't mate a tipped cat to anything other than a tipped cat unless you are an experienced breeder. Working the colour back to a good shade after crossing a tipped to a self is a long drawn out one, and really you need to have a very specific aim in mind when doing so.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice