Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

British Shorthair breed standard

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Annieme, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Annieme

Annieme PetForums Newbie

I placed a deposit on a BSH kitten from a registered breeder. I am paying quite a bit (London prices). & the breeder has been keeping me updated with pictures and videos. They are now at 6 weeks and I am a little concerned as my kitten seems slightly less developed than it's siblings. His chest seems more pronounced and he does not appear to be holding his head in the same way.

I know this might be just picture quality but I am due to visit soon and want to know how do I tell if my kitten is a good standard for the breed.

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Photograps can be very deceiving - I've managed to make some perfectly nice kittens look very odd indeed with my camera!

I think it's impossible to try to compare your kitten to the breed standard as it describes the ideal in a mature, adult cat and kittens vary quite a lot in their size/development due to various factors.

Are you able to post the photos here?

3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Amazed the breeder is letting people choose kittens so young, from photos. I always had people visit when the kittens are older, so I can be sure I'm happy with them. I hope you've not paid a deposit yet.

You say she's a registered breeder, will the kittens be registered? Have you expressed your concerns to her?

4. Annieme

Annieme PetForums Newbie

Thanks for replying, I won't post the pics on a public forum as I wouldn't want to be the cause of undue criticism, I guess I'm just supposing breeders would have a good idea about a potential active/show standard kitten there has to be a barometer of kitten quality.

5. OrientalSlave

Not all breeders show. Do you want a show kitten?

6. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I don't quite understand, sorry. Is the kitten for you to potentially breed from and/or show? In which case, if you have no experiemce of either, it's up to the kittens' breeder to guide you. I'm not criticising or trying to be difficult but it really is pretty much impossible to describe the breed Standard of Points and then for you to try to apply it to the kitten. A photo would help enormously but I do understand your reluctance.

I don't think anyone would want to be judgmental of your kitten and the only reason I mentioned photographs is that you'd expressed s/he didn't look quite 'right' and underdeveloped for age.

7. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

Unfortunately the OP said a deposit had been paid. I haven't bought a kitten, but presumably you would want to see the kitten in person before paying a deposit.

8. OrientalSlave

Oops missed that. Personally I wouldn't buy from a breeder who wanted a deposit before the kitten was old enough to be seen - 6+ weeks in my view.

Tigermoon and Cookieandme like this.
  9. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

You can read the breed standard on the GCCF website but as said above it relates to a mature adult not a kitten. Kittens only have 'potential' and yes, while an experienced breeder will be able to pick this out someone new to the breed will have no chance. It can take several years to 'get your eye in' (i.e. understand and recognise a good quality kitten/cat).

If you are just seeking a pet then it really doesn't matter if the kitten doesn't quite meet the standard (very few cats do truth be told). If however you are seeking a show cat then you should read and absorb the breed standard so you know it in and out, backwards and forwards. If you are inexperienced with the breed then your breeder should guide and mentor you.

OrientalSlave and QOTN like this.
  10. Serenity123

Serenity123 PetForums Member

I agree with the others, I wouldn't put down a deposit based from a photo, I'm not breeding yet but I'm being mentored and I personally wouldn't take a deposit or arrange viewings until the kittens had their first jabs. I suggest you contact your breeder and ask her to guide you x

Justyna.D likes this.
  11. Annieme

Annieme PetForums Newbie

Thanks for all the responses. I was not especially looking for a show standard kitten as he is just a pet. But I am spending quite a bit and would like a good representative of the breed.

In the pictures sent and a video his chest seemed more curved than his siblings & his head was never straight. His legs also appeared shorter, I know this could have just been unfortunate photography.

I guess I was thinking there must be times as a breeder you look at a kitten and say wow this one's likely to be a corker,one you might want to keep, and times you think oh dear.
    I lost my last moggy to HCM & I want a kitty that is likely to remain healthy.
    I wondered what you look for to identify a 'good' kitten.

12. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Wouldn't be much point in breeding if the majority of kittens weren't close to the breed standard, and recognisable as the breed. Have you spoken to the breeder about your concerns with the head and chest of this kitten?
    At the end of the day you do need to be comfortable with the breeder and your choice of kitten, if your instinct is to walk away, that the kitten is not quite right then you should do so.

You could also PM the photos or breeders prefix to BSH breeders on this forum for another opinion.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice