Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

British Longhairs- will their hair grow longer?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Bethanjane22, Apr 18, 2019.

1. Bethanjane22

Bethanjane22 PetForums Member

He’s beautiful with his green eyes :Cat

MilleD likes this.
  2. AshJack

AshJack PetForums Junior

I have a bristle brush (very similar to the ferplast one suggested). I also have a dematting tool. My two are long haired, must have rag doll in them. My other cats were adults/short haired so hadn’t the experience of the fluff to this level. Both have been great for me, especially as Molly had a couple of matts she needed help with they are both now nearly 1 and seem to shed a lot less.

Attached Files:

3. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

They are just gorgeous! Papers and pedigree breed doesn’t matter when they are as beautiful as your two! Can’t help about fur growth I’m afraid just wanted to say how lovely they are. ❤️❤️

4. Bethanjane22

Oh they are so cute!! Proper little fluffs!

I have picked up a slicker brush which they seem to like, I think it must feel nice on their skin as one of them rolls on her back and loves her tummy being brushed.

I will look into the ferplast type brush too :)

chillminx, AshJack and Soozi like this.
  5. Bethanjane22

Thank you so much! :Cat

Papers etc. do not mean anything to me, and I hate how people get so uppity about it on these forums! I simply stated that as far as I was aware they were British Longhairs, having been told this by the lady I purchased them off. I didn't pay the price I assume most would pay for a pedigree cat, so wasn't expecting pedigree cats.

I just love them, they are my babies and I couldn't be happier with them :Happy

Soozi and AshJack like this.
  6. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Papers protect parents from being overbred

lorilu likes this.
  7. AshJack

AshJack PetForums Junior

Thanks, ditto to your two;) def have me twisted round their little paws, makes it so much easier for them.. since I’ve has them since they were teeny:)

The slicker brush is a great invention, (I went through a lot of brushes.. was warned by the rescue place to brush regularly to avoid matted hair), they hated it when they were teeny (too close to the skin for mine, I think), but they started to love it as they got a bit older.:) It’s now routine I use a comb at an angle, gently on their stomach and under their arms, as they hate anything else (unless their mood changes, of course).;)

Bethanjane22 likes this.
  8. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

I think you’re missing the point, these kittens are pretty.

Health tests, blood typing, responsible breeding etc. don’t matter, bybs of pretty kittens are ok ;)

Rufus15 likes this.
  9. Bethanjane22

I do understand the need for all of this, I am not trying to start a debate about responsible breeding etc. I am simply saying that their pedigree and parentage are not important to me, as someone who just wanted 2 kittens regardless of their breed, pedigree, papers etc

I joined this forum to get advice from other cat people, but I have received criticism and negativity from a small minority because my cats are not pedigree and the person I bought them from allowed her cats to breed without proper testing etc. I am not that person, I have no control over what she does. She is a family friend. I'd met both of her cats before, so for me it seemed like a no brainer to get my kittens from her, because I knew where they'd come from.

Should I not have given these lovely cats a home? Am I wrong for wanting the best for them? I have never had cats before so am not aware of all of the breeds and how cat breeding works etc. I have always grown up with dogs so this is all alien to me. Part of the reason why I joined this forum was to expand my knowledge on cats, but some users are making me feel like I don’t belong here.

I presented my kittens as BLH's when they are not (I now understand this mistake). I apologise that my lack of knowledge regarding cat breeds led me to make this error.

I mean no disrespect to anyone, I am simply a novice to this crazy cat world and appreciate everyone taking the time to try and educate me. However I do not see the need for sarcastic responses and lectures when all this thread was started for was to find out the best tools to use for grooming my cats and to see whether anyone thought their hair may grow longer.

#29 Bethanjane22, Apr 24, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    ribbon and AshJack like this.
  10. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I'm really sorry you feel you have had such a negative response from some members , please be assured that although it comes across as negativity in most cases it is because they care about breeding correctly .
    I'm not saying that the concern shown by the responsible breeders is wrong but sometimes the words used are not always well thought out.
    Yes BYB's are not to be encouraged but not everyone who breeds unregistered cats is doing it to con people or to make a few quid and its all very well for those who are clued up to the way of the world that is "cat breeding" to say "do your research" but that doesn't help if you are not aware that there are reasons to need to research in the first place .
    This forum is actually a great place for info and anything cat related so please don't be put off :),

ribbon, Soozi and AshJack like this.
  11. Bethanjane22

I really appreciate your response. Thank you :Cat

I have received some very good advice on here in other threads, and for that I am very grateful. I can fully understand that when people are passionate about something, it can come across as direct and harsh. I just don't think having a go at someone about something they are not fully aware of is the wrong way to educate.

The lady I got my two from adores her cats and I know she is not running some sort of scamming money grabbing outfit. She is genuinely interested in my kittens and often messages me to see how they are doing.

I am putting out nothing but positivity and love and just want to be a part of this community of fellow cat lovers to learn more about my little ones and share in the joy of being a cat slave!

Soozi, AshJack and buffie like this.
  12. AshJack

AshJack PetForums Junior

I hear you. I think sometimes people don’t realise how they come across.. and sometimes people don’t really read through the request and it can get off-topic and get frustrating feeling like you’re repeating and defending yourself..:Cat

I’m sure there was no malicious intention. I wouldn’t let it put you off the forum itself.:)

Bethanjane22 likes this.
  13. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I hope you did not think my previous response was negative. As you have realised, the problem was that you initially asked what the coat of a BLH would/should be like.

Both longhaired breeds and random bred longhair cats have many different types of coats. Without knowing the breed it is not possible to comment on the type of coat to expect.

Bethanjane22 likes this.
  14. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I think the issue has come from a couple of posts from you and others saying that papers aren't important. The point is being raised that the papers protect the parents, particularly the mum, from being overbred and the litters being detrimental to her health. It is also a concern that testing for PKD probably hasn't been done. If you'd seen the devastating effects of PKD on cats, you'd never buy an untested kitten again. It's hereditary and horrific.

The post by @Soozi stating that papers and pedigree don't matter because the kittens are pretty very much spits in the face of ethical breeders, and to some extent owners of regular moggies. They are extremely pretty but does that make them more special than regular moggies or carefully bred pedigrees? Absolutely not. The same health concerns apply across all.

Responsible breeders are passionate about breeding and by extension have strong feelings towards backyard breeders. Responsible breeders spend years learning about their breed, they show, they invest a lot of time, money, energy and heartbreak, and they source and mate their lines extremely carefully. To read being told that papers and pedigree don't matter because a cat is pretty is, frankly, out of order.

15. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Okay you have made your point .....please just leave it now..........

AmsMam, Soozi, Bethanjane22 and 3 others like this.
  16. Bethanjane22

I think what myself and others who have said it mean by that is that they are not important to us in terms of our own cats, and that them being registered/pedigree doesn't matter to us in the sense that it would not impact the love and happiness we have from our own cats. That is all. I think it is often felt by those who do not own a pedigree animal, that your cat is not as 'good' because you cannot trace its ancestry back or confirm its bloodlines etc. Something I feel is unacceptable, and there shouldn't be a stigma placed on people for not owning a pedigree animal. All cats are worthy of love.

I have admitted in a previous post that I am a newbie to the cat world, I do not know much about the breeding of cats. When I wanted to get a cat, I firstly looked around shelters and had every intention of providing a home to a rescue cat, but then someone I knew had kittens and I fell in love with them. Simple, I fell in love with the cats themselves, not their breed or lineage.

I have had a quick read up on PKD, and it looks horrendous and I wouldn't wish it on any animal! However, not every cat in the world can be tested for this disease, there are shelters full of cats that have likely not been tested. Should they not be adopted just in case they have PKD?

As for your comments about me thinking that because my cats are pretty that none of this matters. That is ludicrous! I am well aware that their appearance means nothing when it comes to health issues. I take their health very seriously, I ensure they are vaccinated, flead and wormed regularly, fed a good quality diet, have plenty of exercise and play time to keep their minds and bodies enriched, they are insured, microchipped, have a cat proofed garden to roam in, I groom them regularly and give them all the love in the world. This is the best I can do.

I won't be responding again, I am not here to argue, I came here for advice and positivity.

AshJack and buffie like this.
  17. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi, I have just read back through your thread and can find only a couple of comments that I can understand you may have interpreted as being critical or sarcastic.

The rest of the comments (including my own post ) were friendly, interested or informative. To say that "all" you have had from us is "negativity" is neither fair or accurate. Please don't let a small minority of critical comments drive you away from the forum.

Soozi, AshJack and Bethanjane22 like this.
  18. Bethanjane22

Please accept my apologies. I wrote this response too quickly and at the time was annoyed by a sarcastic comment about how my cats being “pretty” means nothing else matters. I know that I have not received only negativity and have responded to those who have given good advice in such a way.

Once again, I am sorry for that slight on my part.

ribbon, AshJack and chillminx like this.
  19. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Thank you for the apology and correction Bethanjane. No worries. :)

AshJack likes this.
  20. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I own two rescue moggies, that I rescued before I ever got pedigrees. I have also privately rescued and rehomed numerous strays. You feel that you've been lumped in one way, yet you've done the same thing to pedigree owners.

You are right, sadly we can't test for everything. We can test for things that are prevalent in some breeds however, and PKD is a known, testable issue in British. Adopting cats or kittens that might have PKD is not what I was referring to. Kittens should not be bred in the first instance from breeds known to have this issue without parents being tested first. That is my point.

No one is saying you should love them any less because of where they're from. The frustration is not with you. The frustration is that the person that bred them did not do so responsibly.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice